Oil Change Observations

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 01:37 PM
xr4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the manufacturers and dealers aren't going to recommend anything that significantly extends the life of you vehicle. the PM schedule is marketting hype and a method to reduce warranty expense.

the sooner you get the breakin abrasive material out of the engine, the better your chance of reducing wear on bearings and cams. if the engine is not fully broken in it will continue to break in after the oil change.

in the 50-60's manufacturers put in a lower viscosity oil than specified in the owners manual, and in some cases non detergent oil to facilitate breakin. with technology improvements special break in oils are not required.

you did not hurt your engine and may in fact helped it.

while we are debating breakin : the manufacturers used to lap in the ring and pinions, now that step is no longer done. so the wear metals from breakin get deposited in the differntial lube. if you want ot prolong rear gear life - change after 1000 miles.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good way to check the oil put in from the factory is to smell it. If it smells like gas, get it out of there. I am doing the first oil change on my parents new '05 F-150 with 800 miles on the clock this weekend and am going straight to synthetic and extended drain intervals. There is no break in anymore. If they wanted me to, I would have gotten that crap out of there at 100 miles.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Observations