Spark plug cylinders full of dirt

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark plug cylinders full of dirt

I was to begin the process of changing out the plugs this weekend on my 1999 F150 5.4 V8. When I removed the first coil from the plug I soon found out that there is so much dirt down in the cylinder where the spark plug is that the socket wouldn't even fit around it for removal. Is there a good way to remove the dirt from this spot as well as on the other plugs. It doesn't seem to be loose enough to just use compressed air. I'm afraid that if I take the truck to a mechanic and have him change the plugs he will drop most of the dirt into the engine. Any suggestions?

Old 02-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Compressed air. You can manufacture a custom nozzle using copper tubing so you can get it way down in there to blast around the plug.

Also I've heard that NAPA sells a spark plug socket that will fit down in that hole and around the plug. I used to have the part number but lost it.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:04 PM
cleanout

i would think that you probably need to spray a little water (from a hand sprayer, not the garden hose) on the dirt to help loosen it up. if you have the kind of earth (high clay content) like we have here in ga, it becomes baked on with just a little bit of heat. if you soak it good and give it some time to re-hydrate, it should come off easier. you may have to chip out the big stuff with a small screw driver and spray it again. hope it helps.

-matt

oh yeah, i don't mean to insult you, but make sure the negative battery terminal is taken off the post.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:35 PM
I have the same problem with my mustang when I change the plugs (every 15k). What I do is use compressed air to help loosen the debris then use a shop vac to suck it all out of the hole. I do all this to all 8 plug holes before I remove the plugs. This works for me as I never get all the stuff out with just the air, so I have to use the vac. to get the rest out.

Old 02-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i made a atachment for my shop vac out of some difrent size hose big at one end then it tapers down to a small peice of feul line hose that i can get in there and suck all that dirt out with it works great

Quick Reply: Spark plug cylinders full of dirt