problem starting - truck stuck in barn...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem starting - truck stuck in barn...

backed into the barn yesterday to unload a load of hay. went to start back up and all i get is a loud and repeated clicking sound. Battery is fine. lights are good and dim when you turn the ignition then you get the clicking deal. so, truck is stuck in the barn and is 30 miles from the nearest dealer.

is my problem starter/solenoid? If so, can one with modest skills replace? to define modest skills the most difficult thing i have done with this would be to change the altenator.

any assistance is greatly appreciated...

Old 01-11-2005, 10:59 AM
A couple of things to check would be the solenoid and the the negative battery cable. To check the solenoid have the key on and run a wire from the positive battery terminal to the small post on the solenoid. If it acts the same as when your trying to start it it's fine. To check the battery cable, run a jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to the location where the cable grounds to the starter underneath the truck.

Is it cold at your location? Are the battery connections clean and tight? Was the truck still warm after unloading the hay or was it fully cooled down? Automatic transmission? If you under the truck attaching the jumper cable it might be a good idea to see that all the cables on the starter are tight.

Edited to add:

This thread seems to apply pretty directly to your situation:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...t=1998+starter

If it does come down to the starter someone else will have to chime in on it's difficulty.

Last edited by soultwist; 01-11-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grab a hammer from the barn and tap on the starter while having someone try to start it. We used to have an 92 that the solenoid always was hung up. Tapped it a few times and away it went. Could have gotten water in it and then froze when it got cold. Good luck

Old 01-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Touch a pair of channel locks to the two big terminals on the solenoid, if it turns over that is your problem, if not the battery is either low or you need a starter.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:25 AM
I own a 2003 F-150, 4.3L my starter drive gear and flywheel-ring gear was all chewed up, it would make some fast clicking sounds, sometimes start, sometimes would'nt start, that could be the problem, but some Ford Mechanics tell me this is a common problem, but other Mechanics tell me it i'snt. Thats one of the reasons I came on this web site, i was asking about this problem, but nobody seems to answer me.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Thats one of the reasons I came on this web site, i was asking about this problem, but nobody seems to answer me.
Same here.

Touch a pair of channel locks to the two big terminals on the solenoid, if it turns over that is your problem, if not the battery is either low or you need a starter.
I done this and my starter cranked over. What are you saying my problem is? That my solenoid id bad?

Old 01-12-2005, 10:24 AM
By jumpering across the solenoid you are bypassing it so if it starts when bypassing it but not normally then the solenoid is your problem.

Old 01-14-2005, 08:41 PM
bought new starter today and will try tomorrow. will psot results. thanks for the help

Quick Reply: problem starting - truck stuck in barn...