black fuel canister before pump on 1986 4x4 f150??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black fuel canister before pump on 1986 4x4 f150??

the black canister before the fuel pump is shooting fuel everywhere, it has a crack in it. Now before i noticed this problem one day i had to slam on the brakes really hard. when i did that the line came off my fuel pump and fuel was shooting everywhere. i turned the key off and hooked it back up and the next intersection the truck would not run right at all. when driving it will drive fine but when idiling it loaps like it has a big cam in it and will die. I have to two foot it to keep it running. I t also smells like exhaust really bad and it won't even hardly go now. i also noticed when it will run when idiling it shoots some kind of black specs out of the exhaust pipe. I know the canister is one problem but if i replace it does anyone think the truck will be fixed?? Thanks justin

Old 11-01-2004, 09:56 PM
Thats the switching valves for the fuel tanks. On that year it also houses a fuel filter(bottom screws off to access it) . Sounds like it might also be running too rich. Could have a bad fuel pressure regulator, those years are prone to failure.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:42 PM
i have already replaced the fuel pressure regulator on the truck. This all happend after i slammed on the brakes. It stinks like exhaust really bad. what ould have caused it to start running to rich all of a sudden?? justin

Old 11-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Check the vaccumn hose to the MAP sensor. If it came off or is cracked,leaking Vaccumn this can also cause it to run rich.Make sure its not plugged also. Dirty,sticking leaking injectors could also be the problem.

Quick Reply: black fuel canister before pump on 1986 4x4 f150??