'97 4.2L- No power in 4th gear?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '97 4.2L- No power in 4th gear?!

Hello,
I noticed recently that my '97 F150 4.2L 5spd has good acceleration (or as I call it "pick up" all the way into 3rd gear, once you hit around 40mph, your foot can be on the floor, and you barely pick up speed. I was in Overdrive, doing about 55mph, going up a slight hill, my foot was on the floor, and we were staying steady at 55mph. Only thing I am aware of is that my cousin, whom I bought it from 2-3months ago, said "Its low geared for towing" and I havent gotten a hold of him recently. Any ideas what this means? Do I need my sparkplugs checked? Fuel filter? Any input appreciated. Im new to owning a vehicle, my parents both own 93 and older vehicles so they have no idea what they're talking about. Thanks in advance for any input.
-M

Old 10-04-2004, 12:58 AM
You could have something as simple as a plugged fuel filter or possibly low fuel pump pressure. A gas filter is a cheap place to start, people have a bad habit of not changing them often enough and when they get plugged it really hinders top end performence. Both of my trucks need to have them replaced often.

Old 10-06-2004, 12:48 AM
Hey,
Thanks for the input - any idea how to check it? I have no idea where its at. All I know is that on my parents old van, it was inside the gas tank and a pain to get at. I have a '97 4.2L F150.
Thanks again!
-M

Old 10-07-2004, 12:49 AM
On my 96 f150 its on the drivers side frame about in the middle of the truck. It does take a special tool to remove it from the high pressure fuel line. they are pretty cheap and can be found at most part stores like autozone or whatever. Good luck, Mike

Old 10-17-2004, 03:26 AM
Hey,
Changed the fuel filter, and it still loses power. I dont know maybe if you're not supposed to go up-hill in 4th gear?! Nobody really taught me how to drive a stick, I just kinda got in and learned. So maybe theres a few things I dont know. But even on flat, straight roads, I can floor it, and it just doesnt accelerate fast AT ALL.
-M

Old 10-17-2004, 07:40 AM
I'm new to this site also but I'm wondering why no one else has offered any idea's? I've never had any experience with the 4.2 . I have an 89 f250 with a 351 that has all the power you could want. I also have a 96 with the 4.9, 300 straight six. The difference in power between the two is enormous. The 4.9 seems to have good power through all four gears but is totally gutless in overdrive.One posibility is you are shifting into 4th to soon and the engine is bogging down, if you have a tach, pay attention to the rpm's and try running as high as posible without overreving. You will get a "feel" for the rpm's the engine has the most power in but I don't know what that would be for a 4.2. Maybe your expecting too much from a 4.2 but I really don't know. Hopefully someone with some experience with the 4.2 will respond. Good luck again, Mike PS: on the geared low for towing thing, You should have good power through the first four gears, the engine would hit high rpm's faster when the truck's geared lower, overdrive might still be gutless though.

Quick Reply: '97 4.2L- No power in 4th gear?!