Cleaning MAF sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning MAF sensor

First I'd like to thank you all for helping me diagnose a TPS sensor problem.I browsed the boards and saw what the voltage should be.Mine was about .50(at idle)-4.75(WOT),not only that it wouldnt maintain a constant voltage.Its running MUCH better and the tranny is acting better.
My question is about cleaning an MAF sensor.I saw you use a electronics cleaning product.What brand?Does it matter?I saw some alternator cleaner at auto zone,does that work?
Thanks in advance!

Old 07-16-2004, 08:36 PM
No.

Go to Radio Shack and get electronics cleanining spray, and make sure it is one that leaves no residue. There are some that leave a protective coating, but this is definitly not what you want to do.
.Electronics Cleaner Radio Shack
Some auto stores carry CRC electronics spray, again make sure it leaves no residue, it will say that on the label
CRC Spray

Also Computer stores should carry residue free spray cleaners.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-17-2004, 10:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Believe it or not, Windex and a Q-Tip.
Just spray the Windex on the end of the Q-Tip and gently clean the wire with it. You will get the black lines on the head of the Q-Tip where you are taking the junk off the wire.
Quick simple and neat. Got this one from JMC about 2 years ago, and it works great.

Good luck

Old 07-17-2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks again guys.Ive cleaned it with the cleaner and noticed a great difference.The main one being it doesnt ping hardly at all with the cheap gas Im forced to run at the moment..
It does still have a slight surging feel under hard acceleration.Almost kind of like a miss in second and third gear.
MAP sensor maybe?
I know the injectors could use some cleaning.Also I have 145,000 miles and this is the first time Ive done anything with the sensors.
I guess it could be plenty of things.

Quick Reply: Cleaning MAF sensor