Heli-coil

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heli-coil

Thank all of you that posted tips regarding the tune of 4.6 & 5.4 engines... Thanks to you, my tune up went off with out a hitch... well almost...

I got my 97 expy 4.6 used w/ 70K on it... and based on a pulled code that indicated a misfire in #3 cylinder, I decided to do the tune up... all went smooth as silk... except for my attempts to install the rearmost passenger side plug... after about 20 minutes of not being able to catch a thread.. I finally looked at the removed plug and noticed that it was a different size...

I later determined that it had a heli-coil on it... of course it was midnight on a worknight and all I could do was clean the plug and re-install it... worked well for about a week but now it is running rough again...

I recently picked up a heli-coil pack that has numerous lengths of the coil, none of which are long enough to span the length of threads on the plug... which brings me to my first question... should I double up on the heli-coils to get the full length of plug threads? or simply use the longest heli-coil provided in the pack?

Also, Should I use the Locktite on the coil or the plug... (with anti-seize on the opposite) or does it even matter...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated...

Von

Old 06-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heli coil will not last go to search type in timesert
mitch

Quick Reply: Heli-coil