Can't get rid of the Misfire...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed the fuel filter, had the tranny serviced. Double dosed the fuel with STP $7 injector cleaner (made with jet fuel, ya know...) Still occasionally misses. I am at my wits end. Maybe a second coil is going bad. Definitely imporved, but not gone. Went four days without a miss, even with me setting it up to fail. Any more suggestions???

Thanks...and keep the ideas coming!

Old 07-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Make sure that your spark plug wires aren't crossed anywhere.

Old 07-13-2004, 03:07 PM
I can only described what worked for me. When I was pulling coils, I blew out each spark plug hole with an air compressor tube. I wanted to be sure nothing including moisture was in those holes. After I was sure they were clean, I replaced the coil with a different cleaned with compressed air coil. I'm going back to read your original description and see if it was similar to my missing problem.

Old 07-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Your description, miles and vehicle are almost identical to mine. My missing has never returned. If you had two missing coils, I can see how that would compound the problem.
If you want to send me one or two coils at a time, I'll put them in my truck and test them. That's about all I can offer. If it doesn't miss for me it shouldn't be a coil.

Old 07-13-2004, 03:48 PM
After doing a little searching on this site, I have seen some people disconnecting the EGR valve and the problem went away. That probably makes it run a little richer. I wouldn't suggest replacing the EGR valve, since that didn’t' seem to fix their problem. In their case the controller was opening the EGR valve too far. This can get a little expensive shot gunning the problem. However I like the challenge (sometimes)…and it still could be another coil.

Old 07-14-2004, 10:37 PM
Three days now, no miss. I am still skeptical. Trying to get it to miss every time out. Heading on vacation on Saturday. Maybe its all OK. I'll reply when I get back...Thanks for all your help...

Old 07-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Did you finish rotating your extra coil around to see if it was one of the coils?

Old 07-15-2004, 05:30 PM
I also have almost exactly the problem you guys are describing. I have a '98 Expedition, 5.4 4WD for reference. It has about 110,000 miles. Recently I had the usualy #4 coil fail completely. I replaced it as well as the spark plugs. It ran fine for about a month, then it starts this miss on what is a typical uphill load. Part throttle acceleration and I get the miss about 50% of the time. Maybe it is me, but it seems to happen more often when the fuel level in the tank is lower, and the weather is hotter.

I intend to replace fuel filter because it should be reaplaced. If that makes no differance I will next pull the plugs out and look for problems. I suppose my next bet is going to be to replace the coils one at a time playing musical coils. I will followup with anything I find.

Old 07-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Is it possible that there is water in the fuel.
Might try some drygas.
This will make any engine miss on a random basis.
The older engines had a two line fuel system and circulated the fuel.
These one line systems could get a load of water that wont go away until the injectors pass the fuel through.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:04 PM
running great right now. I'll put about 1000 miles on it over the next week, we'll see how she does. No misses for nearly 48 hours Going on a 3 hour tour tomorrow. we'll see how she acts for a trip down I-81...

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Rockinport, so the solution was the fuel filter and the injector cleaner? That is the thing that seemed to solve it? I am going to try those things anyway. I will do them first and see how it goes.

Old 07-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Sure seems that way. That was the last thing I tried. I think that I may have had a couple of issues. The coil absolutley made a difference. After I installed the coil in #4, the miss went away for 4 days. Right now, though, all is running OK. I'll report back next Saturday night.

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks I will let you know how mine goes. I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but I had already replaced the #4 coil on my Expedition. It had failed all at once and completely. I replaced it and the plugs. About a month later it started this new problem.... on the new plugs...

Old 07-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Autozone will scan for you I think for free, Mine was misfire #4 cylinder and changed the coil and runs perfect light even when out on its own. Dealer told me #4 goes out more because heater hose line is above it and will drip down and burn it up. Worked for me, good luck....access

Old 07-24-2004, 06:32 PM
OK, I'm back...Mixed results. On the 350 mile ride out, it only misfired once. After light use for a couple of days (< 5 miles a day), I took it out on teh beach and pulled a couple of SUVs out of the sand. The 10 mile trip back to teh house, it missed a bunch!!!. Missed some on a 35 mile ride to the mainland. Leaving this morning, it missed in heavy traffic, but started running great after I got on the open highway. This is frustrating...

I'm going to try some more cleaner, and I think that I'll dielectric the boots again.......

Quick Reply: Can't get rid of the Misfire...