A little bit of stumbling...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little bit of stumbling...

Okay, y'all were so helpful in my truck's past, I thought I'd ask here first (after reading the other postings about similar things...)

99 4.6L, 117K, on a road trip to Austin, suddenly decided it wanted to stumble/stutter a little bit upon de-accelaration at speed. (75-ish when I first noticed, but now at 45-55mph, too). It's not terrible bad, but I'd like to nip it in the bud.

Anyways, part of me wants to blame Shell gasoline...part of me thinks it could be EGR valve...it had it's "Official by the Book" Ford 100K tune up by my trusted mechanic, so I have to (safely?) assume wires and plugs were changed out...

About 2 wks back, the SES came on, the fine fellas at AutoZone diagnosed it as Bank 1, Sensor 1 O2 sensor....same day, the light went back out. Think it's interrelated? Light never came back on, still getting my usual 400 miles per tank. (Don't ask me the actual mpg...that new math and all )

Think adding Seafoam or something like that would help?

Anywho, as always, the collective wisdom of the board is welcomed!

Have a great night!

Last edited by Jennifer_in_DFW; 05-27-2004 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to say. If the light comes back on, you know your answer. Wait and see.

Shell gas isn't considered the best quality. Maybe a trip to Chevron would be in order or a wonderful Fuel system cleaner like Red Line SI-1... check it out at: www.redlineoil.com
This is an alternative to seafoam, which I've never used on my 97 with over 215,000 miles.

let us know how it goes. g.luck

This is directly from the Red Line site:
SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner

S1-1 Tech Info

SI-1's injector and valve detergent is a concentrated package of the most powerful high-temperature detergents available to clean gasoline fuel injectors, intake valves and combustion chambers. SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner can clean injectors to nearly 100% efficiency in one treatment. The cleansing effect on injector deposits can raise fuel economy approximately 12% or even greater, depending on the condition of the injectors. Although many gasolines advertise injector cleanliness, GM presented a paper to the SAE which indicates that their customers encountered injector plugging with all major brands of gasoline (SAE 861533). SI-1 also contains detergents and a synthetic upper cylinder lubricant which will help clean the intake valves, pollution control valves, combustion chamber deposits and carburetors. One bottle of SI-1 to a tank of fuel can reduce octane requirements by two numbers. SI-1 also protects the fuel system from rust. One bottle treats up to 100 gallons. Safe for continual use.

Quick Reply: A little bit of stumbling...