new 5.4L heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new 5.4L heads

I was wondering what mods can be done to the engine of an '01 5.4L screw. Are there aftermark heads that can be purchased? I have noticed that the navigator heads are made for the 5.4L. Are these the same heads as the stock ford 5.4L? will they show any improvment? Also are there any aftermarket crank or cams than can be purchased as well. Any high performance crate engines that can be swapped into the '01 screw. I plan on installing a ATI procharger within the month. I would like to be able to complement the charger with a kick *** engine. Any suggestions would help

Old 04-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 'gator heads will certainly fit, but you have to get all new running gear: injectors, upper & lower intake, the actual heads (which are expensive and difficult to find), possibly new pistons, a remaped ECU or a piggyback at least, the list goes on.

If you really want to swap heads, the best thing to do is to find a spare set of PI heads and have them ported and polished with a new set of cams thrown in. I'm doing a set of non-PI heads like that with GT mustang cams (keeping the non-PI heads for lower compression and so I can reuse my intake manifolds), but you will again have to have your vehicle tuned for these. You also have the option of going with a set of prepped heads like Fox Lake or a similiar setup. Neal should be around soon; that's the setup he's planning on running, but they're a bit more high-dollar. For someone less concerned with getting every last horsepower out, a set of PI heads done by a machine shop with GT mustang camshafts can be a cheaper alternative to supercharging.

The best thing to do is bolt-ons. There is a plethora of things available for these trucks, and the right combination will net you great results. Look for a good, brand-name intake (K&N, Airraid, Volant, etc.), a straight-through exhaust system (Dynomax, Magnaflow, etc.) and get a SuperChips programmer and your truck will feel like a champ.

Welcome to F150online, and don't hesitate to ask any questions!
-Flea

Quick Reply: new 5.4L heads