SCrew is blowing white smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCrew is blowing white smoke!

I really need your help on this one fellas. I bought my 2001 SCrew 4x4 about two weeks ago and I've noticed it has a little issue. Regardless of how warm the engine gets, it ALWAYS will blow white steam out the exhaust while sitting at idle. I don't notice it when I'm driving, but it blows fairly steadily at idle. The weather here in Washington has been fairly cool as of late, but I don't notice any other cars on the road blowing steam from their exhausts. It's not burning oil and it doesn't seem to be using any coolant. However, I have read posts that blowing head gaskets on the 5.4's is a normal occurance. . . hopefully this isn't the case with my truck. Before I purchased it from a private party, I had a dealer check the vehicle out and it came back fine. It passed a compression and leakdown test with flying colors. Any ideas on what could be the culprit? Is this a normal thing for these trucks? Should i get a second opinion from another dealer?

-Craig

Old 04-20-2004, 07:23 AM
Hi theantiriced,

I too have a 2001 4x4 5.4L Supercrew - great trucks! I have always noticed a little white steam coming out of the exhaust, but I truely believe it just condinsation build-up -especially where you live. I've been running a Kenne Bell supercharger at 10 # boost and no head problems so far even at 60K miles (25K with the Kenne Bell installed). I would just watch the coolant level for awhile just to be on the safe side. Good luck and welcome to the board!

Old 04-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the piece of mind, I hope you're right. I'll keep an eye on the coolant level and pray it doesn't drop any.

-Craig

Old 04-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Anyone else have an opinion on this one. . .

-Craig

Old 04-20-2004, 05:39 PM
What kind of weather?

That would be my guess...otherwise you would probably notice some usage of your fluids.

My '97 5.4L will put out a *slight* bit of steam at idle if it's in the 50s-low 60s, and if its humid its even more noticeable.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:17 PM
I live near Seattle. The weather here has been overcast, showers off and on, and temperatures during the day from low to mid 50's. I haven't noticed my coolant level dropping at all. I think the resivoir is actually a little too full, so I guess that's a good sign. If I did have the dreaded blown head gasket, would I notice any other symptoms?

-Craig

Old 04-21-2004, 12:17 PM
I live in the Northeast and can honestly say my truck billows steam anytime it is cool and dry. I was afraid of a blown gasket, but it has done this since the first day I drove it and I have 80K on it now. My coolant hasn't dropped at all. This is probably because the F150's have long exhaust systems with a huge muffler, which allows the exhaust gases to be cooled so much that the water vapor condenses to a fine mist by the time it comes out. This is what you are seeing most likely.

Now if the exhaust has a sweet sugary smell to it, you have coolant entering the combustion chamber. A quick wiff of the exhaust will tell you instantly, because that smell is like no other.

Trending Topics

Old 04-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Crashz,
Thanks for the reply. It's good to hear that someone else is experiencing the same thing as me. I think you're right about the condensation thing since my coolant level isn't dropping and the smoke has almost no scent. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for the time being.

-Craig

Old 04-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Hold you hand over the exhaust for a few seconds then taste the results. Not tasting anti freeze you can quit worrying about the head gasket.

tk

Old 04-23-2004, 06:34 PM
This may be a little far off...but my dad's '03 screw was having major problems. IT won't start to say the least (only starts after giving it heck!!)

Well the truck puffs a huge cloud of pure white smoke. The tech we spoke too said that was unburnt fuel from the truck not starting.

Now if this is happening when the truck it running I'd rule out the unburnt fuel cause you'd notice a knock or miss in the motor. But anyway the white smoke can also be unburnt fuel from what I hear.

--Justin

Old 04-24-2004, 08:05 PM
My '00 does the same thing. Only the smoke/steam goes away after the engine warms up. I had my mechanic look at it and he said there was nothing wrong. I guess certain weather conditions make that occur. I dont know! Good Luck!

Old 04-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Banned For Personal Attacks & Inappropriate Language
you may just be suckin up alot of water into the intake or ur buyin cheap gas that has alot of water in it. my dad has worked for for for 19 years i'll ask him l8ter for ya

Old 04-24-2004, 10:16 PM
That'd be great man, thanks.

-Craig

Quick Reply: SCrew is blowing white smoke!