'97 f150 4.6 head leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '97 f150 4.6 head leak

Took truck in for a routine oil and they said both sides are leaking. Passenger side seems to be the worse with the drivers side just starting. I have few questions before I get repairs done.

1. How much should I expect to pay? The mech said $1600 because the engine has to come out.

2. Does the engine have to come out?

3. How long can I drive it without getting it repaired?
Mileage is 120,000

Thanks in advance for the answers

Old 04-17-2004, 12:40 AM
the engine has to come out for the repair to work right and be reliable. its too easy to nick the head sealing surface tryin to do it with out pulling the engine. and most shops wont do it in vehicle because there is so little room to work they might damage paint or fenders. and ford says not too repair headleaks in vehicle remove engine first.

who knows how long it will last not fixing it? but its up to you at 120k you could drive it till it blows then just swap in motor labor would be about the same. and you should be able to find a reman for $1500 to $2000. then it would be like new strong valve springs and everything.

Old 04-17-2004, 05:34 PM
same, but different problem here

I've got an 86 Bronco II with 170K. It has a blown head gasket or cracked head (internal coolant leak) and just not ready to put a whole lot of $$$ into it so....
I put in a cooler thermostat and a lighter pressure radiator cap and a product called "Cracked Leak Cure" that I found on the internet.
The combination has kept it going (around town, back and forth to work, nothing hard core) for over a year now.
Just keep an eye on the coolant level and when it's time, go for a reman like Bent said.

Old 04-17-2004, 05:51 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A LEAKING head gasket is not the same as a BLOWN head gasket. Head gaskets can seep for years without much problem. If it is under warrentee you get it fixed, otherwise, just keep an eye on the oil level and drive it until it dies. I doubt yours is under warrentee with the milage. It is really not worth the money to repair. When it does go, buy a crate engine (all over e-bay) and replace the one you have now with new.

Old 04-17-2004, 06:05 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with the drive it till it dies line of thought. Mine (2000) leaks too. I just keep the oil topped up and keep an eye on the temp guage and the coolant level.

I push mIne hard and it still runs very well
If and when it blows I will drop in either a 5.4 or a 6.8 in place of it.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 04-18-2004, 01:23 AM
Thumbs up WLF brings up a very good point........

I ALSO had a 1989 F350 Crew Diesel that had minor external coolant leaks between the head and block, and it didn't change for the three years I had it. Moral to the story.....
Internal....bad
External....not as bad.
Again, drive her till she blows and replace it all.
IMHO
Jeff

Old 04-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Talking

Thanks all for the answers to my questions! I really do love my truck and didn't want to get rid of it. You've given me some options! I appreciate it! ;-)

Quick Reply: '97 f150 4.6 head leak