oil in intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil in intake

I have a 1996 Ford explorer with a 5.0 V8 that has oil accumulation on the air intake. What causes something like this. The other information I have is the prior owner had never tuned this vehicle and it was only running on 6 cylinders. After making the repairs, was when I noticed this oil.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Is the vehicle currently running or ever ran a K&N filter? Over oiling a K&N is the only time I've seen oil in the intake.

Happened a lot to by buddy's Ranger 4x4 when you used to go off-roading. He would respray his open element K&N because of the excessive dust, and he would of course develop problems with excess oil in his intake.

Also, does the oil look fresh; could the repair shop have done something accidentally to get oil in the intake?

Old 04-12-2004, 08:16 PM
very common on that engine is the pcv valve/system is clogged up and the opposite side of the pcv system is sucking in oil into the intake. If in fact you do discover that the pcv system is clogged it will also most likely mean that the engine is also clogged/gummed up.

fix the problem first then get the oil system flushed.

good luck-

Old 04-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks hcmq

Thanks for your reply I appreciate the information. I asked my daughter about the valve and she said she had a new one but couldn't find where it goe's. It must be underneath and in back of the engine.

Quick Reply: oil in intake