warranty void/oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
warranty void/oil change

My girlfriend took her car in for a service check and the tech asked her if she was going to get the oil changed. She told him no, her boyfriend was going to do it or she would take it somewhere else. The tech then said that if the oil wasn't changed by the manufacturer the warranty could be voided. I have heard of people saying this before and always thought it was BS. Is there any truth to this? Wasn't there an act or law or something about this?

Old 03-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not true.. if they void the warranty then they have to give you oil or change it for free. Since they don't do that, they can't void the warranty. I would tell the service mgr about this BS quote.

Old 03-16-2004, 02:20 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Under the Magnason Moss Act, the manufacturer cannot void the warrantee unless they prove that the aftermarket product caused the failure. Otherwise there would be no aftermarket.

They can however try to make a claim if you don't change the oil according to the schedule. Keep reseats.

Old 03-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
In a nutshell, in the event you wish to make a warranty claim, you must be prepared to prove that you performed all needed scheduled service.

This takes work on the part on a private individual. If you cannot provide a documentation trail for any future problems, use a commercial service that will keep the records for you.

Steve

Quick Reply: warranty void/oil change