my new truck has oil consumption probs?? help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my new truck has oil consumption probs?? help

I just bought a 98F150 with the 5.4 about 2 months ago with 65k on it. Now it has 68k. Anyway, I checked the oil when i first got it, it was right in the middle of the dipstick. Then, I checked it 3k miles later, I had to add 2 QUARTS to get it back!!! (yes i know i should have checked it before it was ever 2 quarts low in the first place, no lecture please ) The truck doesn't send up bluw smoke, it doesn't leave oil puddles in my driveway or at work, what gives?? Is this "normal" for the Ford trucks, I'm worried. And 2 quarts seems to be alot to add, I hope nothing happened to the engine, it sounds good and like I said no smoke or anything. I do have the warranty on it for one year, but I have to get the oil changed by a shop with a receipt. When the clock hits 70k I will get the oil changed, and monitor it. Any comments on this???
THanks

Brian

PS My chevy has over 80k miles on it, is modded, runs at the track regularly, AND is hit with 150hp shots of nitrous oxide. Guess how much oil it burns, NOTHING!!! lol, oh well

Last edited by Hawkz28; 02-14-2004 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there are motors out there that use a quart per thousand. it sounds like maybe you got one of them. it seems to cross all makes. i have a buddy whose cadillac northstar V8 uses oil big time and GM will not do a thing for him. I know it's a pain in the butt however it does not seem to have any bearing on engine longevity.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:49 PM
A defevtive PCV valve can use that much oil. I'd try one and see if it helps. I'm certainly NOT trying to start another oil thead here, but a different weight or brand of oil may help slightly. Technically 2 qts in 3k is acceptable. In contrast I have logged over 300,000 miles now using the 5.4l for my business (multiple engines). I have only added a couple quarts of oil between changes in all those miles, and I do add when I need a quart.

There is a TSB on the Northstar on that issue as well. Make the dealer look it up. I've done the procedure and it works.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:58 PM
oil consumption

I would not get too concerned yet as you have only put 3000 miles on it. the first thing i would do is change the oil and filter and use a good quality oil. i have seen cheaper oils break down in less than 1000 miles. also like the other guy said check the pcv valve. you will never noitce any blue in the tail pipe as long as the cat converter is still there. I have more ideas if you want. just email me

Old 02-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks a bunch guys. I will be sure to check the PCV valve tommorow. I did just take a quick look under the engine and the valve covers, no oil leaks or anything. I feel better about it, I was really annoyed this morning when I checked the oil though. I am using the FORD recomended oil, the motorcraft 5w30. Well, I'll keep tabs on it and hopefully everything will be OK.

Brian

Old 02-15-2004, 01:10 PM
My wife's 1994 Crown Vic with 80,000 miles just started using a quart almost every 800-1000 miles when it hit around 70,000 miles. I've been told by mechanics who work on the Dallas Police Crown Vics that this is normal.

I changed the oil to the Castrol High Mileage oil, 10w30 and changed the PVC valve and it slowed the oil consumption down greatly. I just checked it after 1,000 miles on this oil change and it is still on the full mark.

You might want to give this oil a try.

Jayhawker
2003 King Ranch Super Crew

Old 02-15-2004, 01:33 PM
I believe all engines will let at least a little oil through the PCV. Venting the crankcase will let any airbourn oil through. They route it to the throttle body elbow so that it can be mixed with the air and fuel, to be burnt off. I have heard a couple people say that this may not be such a bad thing as it would lubricate parts in the intake tract. I'm not sure that I agree with that but it is possible.

I installed a supercharger on my 4.6 a couple years ago. Shortly after I had the throttle body elbow off for some reason or another and noticed that oil was pooling on the top of the intake. I installed a filter between the PCV and the throttle body elbow. I picked up an air compressor filter at the Home Depot. I don't know that it stops all the oil from making it through but I see about a pint between oil changes. Every thing seems to be working ok and I have peace of mind that I'm stoping at least some of the oil from making it into the intake tract.

Quick Reply: my new truck has oil consumption probs?? help