Best HP gains for the buck??!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best HP gains for the buck??!

Question for guys with a lot of bolt ons whats the best bang for the buck bolt ons I should do to my 98 4.6 5speed manual f-150 (minus for now the PI head swap and blower which I want to do eventually). Ive got a magnaflow catback and removed my air silencer with a K&N. Would a cold air intake make any difference having done the air silencer removal and filter? I guess my question is what would be the smartest way to start with bolt ons for maximum gains since I'll be doing it probably one bolt on at a time. Should I start with fans or underdrive pulleys or micro tuner or ignition upgrade ect ect.? Any help would be appreciated. -Dan

Old 02-03-2004, 04:19 PM
The biggest bang for my bucks was the 3 things you had mentioned. The underdrive pulleys, electric fans and Microtuner.

They may not be compatable with a supercharger though.

Old 02-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Old 02-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shy away from the PI head swap if you're going to supercharge. You'll need the lower C/R of your non-PI heads. Best thing to do is to port/polish your existing heads and put in better camshafts, if you're going to supercharge.

That being said, the tuner will be awesome, but if you're going to extensively mod, you should look into the custom tuning AFTER you've done all your other mods.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask for advice on here!
-Flea

Old 02-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You got the list.

In order of $$ Spent / HP

1. ) Chip / Tuner
2. ) Pulley Set
3.) Electric Fans

maybe 2&3 are reversed. Seems that there are different values for the HP gained in 2&3, and can varry the position.

If you are looking at installing a S/C, don't get a tuner, get a chip or a flip chip.
It is a little more labor intensive to install ( cleaning the coating off the contacts ) but in the long run you will be able to have the custom tune put on the chip.
This being said, I have not looked into the new MicroTuner to see if the same can be done or not. Ask Mike Troyer, he'll give you the correct answer. Just easier to have the correct item you'll need later for the S/C.
Electric Fans will help the cause for the S/C install, as you will have more room in the front of the chassis.
Pulley set, got me, I don't know if you would use these with the S/C or not. Again, ask Mike T for the straight scoop.

Good luck, and happy modding !

Old 02-04-2004, 09:42 AM
headers, to help the intake and the cat back do there job.

tranny upgrade, you can boost your horsepower all you want but if your tranny can't handle the torque your just blowin wind.

Last edited by D's RIG; 02-04-2004 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Best HP gains for the buck??!