What radiator should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What radiator should I buy?

I did a search for this and found a lot of people who got radiators from the dealer or from a TSB or from warrantee.

But my truck is a 1990 F150 (auto trans) 351 CI v8.

My radiator is leaking and it is leaking at the top so Im guessing the radiator stop leak isent getting there.

Anyways I need a "Direct replacement" radiator and Im wondering what brand I should buy.

Vehicle has 130,000 miles on it so I don't need a top of the line radiator, Im looking at between 120-180 dollar one.

What brand have YOU GUYS found to work best? Should I just go get one from ford?

Also I have an automatic trans, but a lot of the radiators say " Except E40D A/Trans" or with E40D trans"

How do I tell?

Old 01-20-2004, 05:20 PM
do you have A\C?

Old 01-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Also need to know the core depth. Is it 1 1/8 or 2 1/4. Your truck utilized both in that year and engine. The easiest and most precise way to measure the core depth (or thickness) is to insert a small piece of wire between the fins on your radiator until the end is flush with the other side. Mark the wire and measure it for your core depth measurement.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Old 01-20-2004, 07:22 PM
I PURCHASED A RADIATOR FROM AUTO ZONE FOR MY 91 F150. THEY HAD IT IN STOCK AND IT HAS A LIFETIME WARRANTY. I PURCHASED A LARGER RADIATOR THAN ORIGINAL. EITHER ONE WILL FIT IN TRUCK. COST OF NEW LARGER RADIATOR $145.00 HAVE YOU TRIED A LOCAL RADIATOR SHOP TO HAVE YOUR OLD ONE FIXED ? I TOOK MINE TO RADIATOR SHOP AND THEY NEVER WERE ABLE TO FIX IT. ON MY OLD RADIATOR THE END CAPS ARE PLASTIC AND THE RADIATOR CORE HAD TABS THAT FOLDED/CRIMPED OVER END CAPS TO HOLD IT TOGETHER. EVERY TIME THEY MADE A REPAIR SOME OF THE TABS WOULD BREAK OFF THAT HELD END CAPS ON. SORT OF LIKE PULL TABS ON SODA CANS. NEW RADIATOR FROM AUTO ZONE IS ALL METAL.

Old 02-07-2004, 02:30 AM
If you have the room, go with the two core rad., it will give you better cooling for just a little extra $

Old 02-07-2004, 05:58 AM
If it is a top leak, you might want to get it pressure checked, I had a Toyota and it started overheating alot, went to dealer they wanted big $$$$$ for a new one, took it to another fella he pressure checked it found a hairline crack in the top and welded it for about $40 ran great the rest of the time I had it (30,000 miles)
I bought one for my 97 F-150 after my clutch fan flew off into my original, ordered it from Advance Auto ( the thicker one) I think I paid around $150 or less its been a while, fluid is still lime green, also added elec fan. I don't know about a 351 but the water pump threads that the clutch fan attaches to on my 4.6l is made of some cheap pot metal, so if you take off your fan be careful to not put to much torque on it it'll crack and you'll have to get another radiator.
Good luck man.

Quick Reply: What radiator should I buy?