50,000 inspection tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50,000 inspection tips

Sorry for the late notice but the truck is in the shop starting Mon or Tue for a service engine checklight that came on last week. The truck was running a bit rough when on acceleration. Some days it runs smooth all day long. I had a new fuel filter installed at 30,000 but did not flush the transmission and TC yet.

How important is flushing the TC rather than draining the tranny fluid? I want to take care of my truck but don't know if I'll have enough doe to cover all that I need. One dealer where I bought my truck out of town had already wrote down $500.00 for the estimate. I declined and walked out. They are known to be the biggest ripoffs in the small town my dad told me. Any opinions on the rough idle? Truck ran great today and on the 1 1/2 hr. drive back home.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:21 AM
Are you saying they wanted $500 to change the tranny fluid including the TC?

Personally I think anything over $120 for dropping the pan changing fluid drain TC and replace filter is a rip.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't flush the tranny/TC unless needed. We've had our Lariat since 97 (with over 200,000 miles) and haven't 'flushed once. If you change the fluid every 15-30,000 miles, you shouldn't have a need for a flush.

IMO, just drop the fluid in the pan and torque converter (approx. 13 qrts.). Re-fill.

I wouldn't think that the rough idle would be caused by the tranny fluid not being changed. The MIL wouldn't come on for that reason anyway. If anything you'd just notice that your tranny was shifting a little strange....that would be all the indication you need to renew the fluid.

Last edited by mf150; 01-05-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:42 PM
#4 & 6 coils and plugs gone...

Sorry for not being clear on my earlier post. That particular out of town dealer where I bought my truck wrote down on the work order and estimate of 500.00 for the tranny and TC flush and to install a new coil and plug and do all of the 50,000 checks and changes if needed. i.e. engine coolant, alignment etc. Everything but change the air filter and oil change.

I've taken it to a blue oval dealer near me instead and the called and said the # 4 & 6 coils were bad & the 2 plugs. They told me $488.00 for the 2. My gosh, I remember replacing a coil by myself on an old Nissan truck that I had but these plugs, you can't even hardly see or get to them.

This is an aweful lot of money. They said the truck will be ready in the morning. I guess I'm stuck with having them do it right? Can I get coils much cheaper at an auto zone and have them do the work? I do tow a heavy boat so maybe it's best I continue with the tranny & TC flush. I've also just discovered that the gear selector arm sometimes feels like it's dragging weight behind it when putting it into drive.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Last edited by 00firstford; 01-05-2004 at 08:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 50,000 inspection tips