Throttle Body failure, fuel contaminated oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Throttle Body failure, fuel contaminated oil?

My wife's 5.4 Expy's gas pedal was "sticky" on take off but operated normally after that. I'm thinking the TB is dirty with carbon build up and a little cleaning will provide the fix. Dealer says TB has to be replaced, it's gone bad. In doing so, they changed the oil and filter without authorization, claiming the oil was contaminated with fuel from the defective TB. Unless I'm missing something here, I don't see how a bad TB could contaminate the oil unless the TB leaked to intake? Does this sound legit or is dealer trying to cover himself on the oil change?

Old 12-17-2003, 12:42 PM
Smells a bit fishy to me...

Ford techs are not paid to clean so much as they're paid to replace. This is what happens at dealerships. The throttle body has a sticker on it that says not to clean it because of a protective coating. If this so called protective coating actually worked though, there would be no reason to clean it.

I think they are suggesting the oil was contaminated with fuel because the throttle body was stuck open, causing the injectors to leak. I really don't think this happened unless your wife has a habit of letting the truck sit with the key in the run position without starting the engine. More likely, the throttle body was sticking shut so there wouldn't have been any leaking injectors and no oil contamination.

If it bugs you, call Ford customer service and bug them. They'll in turn call the dealer and bug them. Everybody gets bugged a bit and you don't feel so alone

I hope you got the original throttle body back so you can port & polish it

Old 12-17-2003, 12:53 PM
raw gas thining down the oil can be a verry bad problem. It could cost you a engine. all it cost you was an oil change. it would have been nice to get a phone call, but this may be a legit nessity.

Old 12-17-2003, 04:02 PM
Dawg it, my wife forgot to grab the old TB. Could been used as a boat anchor for my son's remote control boat Your right it only cost me a oil change vs. new engine. I'm curious to see if there was much carbon build up at 53k. They claimed to have cleaned the induction, I wonder if that included the EGR system?

Last edited by shelbydog25; 12-17-2003 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body failure, fuel contaminated oil?