Head gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head gasket replacement

What's this "lifting the cab" I've read about here, when talking about replacing the head gaskets on a '97-and newer truck?

In two places, I've read something like "...it's easy to replace both gasket once you get the cab off...". I thought it was a misprint, and maybe the writer meant CARB, but that's not likely either, since there hasn't been a carb on a F150 in years, and then read "...yeah, they didn't have to lift the cab when replacing mine...".

Does replacing the head gaskets (4.6l, 5.4l) really involve disturbing body mounts?

Old 10-28-2003, 10:44 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You can do it both ways. By far the easiest way to replace a head gasket is with the cab removed.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 10-28-2003, 11:41 AM
How do you lift the cab?

Are there jack/lift points on the cab to do this? Is this procedure outline in the Chilton's manual?

Seems kinda severe to do engine work, although I have to admit that it looks impossible otherwise just lookng down into the engine bay.

I'm just thinking of the steering/brake/everything systems that pass thru the firewall, and how in god's name you support the cab when it's lifted.

Wow.

Old 10-28-2003, 12:18 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Unless you have access to a car hoist you are pretty well stuck with a body on head removal. in my first post i forgot to give the following link; http://flatratetech.com/images/nav_how_to.htm

JMC

Old 10-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Its very possible to do head work with the engine still fully mounted and everything. ITs a biatch of a job, but its possible. Be sure you get new bolts too because they are stress bolts and can only be used once.

I would reccommend the kit from Ford Racing, includes head gaskets, bolts, and even a dip stick tube. All of this is for the 4.6L, and is only $105 through steeda.

- Rick -

Quick Reply: Head gasket replacement