Buying, what should I be aware of?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying, what should I be aware of?

I am looking to purchase my first F-150 here in the next 2-3 months and I like to begin my search early to know what I want/don't want. I was wondering if there are certain things I should be aware of when buying this wonderful truck. Currently looking at 99-03, 4X4, auto, 4.6 or 5.4, I noticed that most of the trucks in my price range $10-$15K USD are over 100K mi, but there are a few with 30-50K/mi for the same price range and I can't figure out for the life of me why there are such sharp contrasts in mileage in seemingly similar trucks within that particular price range. In example, one particular truck I have my eye on is about $15,000 with 47K on the ticker (01 5.4 4X4 Reg Cab)... but another truck (a 2000 4.6 SuperCab 4X4) has 106K/mi and is $2000 more with similar options. Just wanting to know if the market is weird or if there are problem trucks out there or perhaps I have stumbled upon some "jewels". Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to lend, and I dig this site, great for gathering info.

Old 10-14-2003, 10:28 AM
The ext. cab will of course be a little more expensive from the start. I would check out www.kbb.com . That is the kelly blue book web site. You can put in the specifics of the truck you are looking at and it will tell you what the current blue book value is. These trucks will still do pretty well even with 100,000 Mi on them. ( Most will go to 200 K ) Obviously lower milage would be preferable. ford also had lots of different options packages. XLT's could have a lot of different options in the same year. It can be very difficult to compare apples to apples.

Old 10-14-2003, 11:06 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, supercab is about $3k more than regular cab new, supercrew another $2500.

Old 10-14-2003, 05:31 PM
the 97 and up F-150's have proved to be the best truck on the road. 4.6's have decent power and are pretty peppy and are a good engine for a normal duty truck. If you need to pull a heavy load very often or for long distances, the 5.4 is probley the engine you might want. All are very reliable, but the 4.6 has proven almost bulletproof, as some have 400,000+ miles on the original, non-rebuilt motor. They'll get to 200,000 easy with normal maintence.
Good luck with your purchase--let us know if you have any more questions.

Old 10-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Definately avoid '99 5.4L engines. They are the one's with the notorious head gasket oil leak.

Old 10-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Less than 10% of the 99 5.4 engines had the head gasket problem. Almost every year has a few issues to be wary of. This forum will provide some insight on what to look for.

With any engine on a used vehicle put it on a lift to look over the bottom side - be wary of recently cleaned engines and transmissions. Look for service documentation. Also pull a carfax to see if there is any history that is documented. If you are not comfortable looking over the mechanical areas look for an independant shop that will perform pre-purchase inspections.

Old 10-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Tsquared

Would you be willing to take one in ten odds that you will get a lemon of a truck?

Old 10-14-2003, 10:33 PM
I have 3 Ford trucks. Two with the 5.4 and one with a 4.6. The 4.6 has piston slap and will see 100K by the end of the year - It will get another 60K next year and I expect it to go at least 250K with out any major problems: the piston slap cannot be heard once I switched to synthetic oil. My primary truck is a Lariait with a 5.4 - I have 65K and only put about 18K per year on it - see the mods - no engine problems. The other 5.4 is also a 99 with no mods except a K&N filter - it has 100k and will get 20K put on in the next year - no problems. Both the 4.6 and "other" 5.4 are farm trucks, they work hard and are diven by various drivers under extreme conditions.

Beside the piston slap on the 4.6, the only real issue I have had has affected all three trucks - Leaking rear windows and the blasted door crack for the under engineered doors.

There are issues with the trucks, I don't deny that. I do believe that the reported 10% of head issues with the 5.4 and the 10%piston slap issues have been mostly corrected in warranty or are non-issues. I may have beet the odds but I believe that quality sevice supplies and regular maintenance tend to give me better odds against any major problems.

Flame Away. I have 3 trucks that are excellent at what they do and do a d@mn good job at it with few, if any, problems. Read my last post again - pay attention to the second paragraph.

Old 10-15-2003, 12:15 AM
Of the 99's that did develop the head gasket leak, I have one of them, if it was repaired using the new four layer gasket, you should not have to worry abut it. Mine was done last January, and has been leak free since.

Old 10-15-2003, 10:48 AM
blackgt93,

the biggest reason for the price / milage difference that i've noticed is the introduction of the new F-250's. a bunch of F-150 owners jumped to the diesel's for the sheer grunt increase at about the same fuel economy. i do a lot of distance driving (4 600 + mil trips a month) in my 98 F-150 4x4 S/C, F/S with the 4.6L 64,000 mil with the pinging and check engine light prob's that are readily discussed on this sight. and I'm hear to tell you the 250's are every where and doing everything.

as far as what to look for just screen this complete sight and you will be amazed at what limitted problems we higher milage F-150 owners are haveing. alot of it is just our trucks keeping thier owners mechanical skills in tune. cause most of use have had nothing to do but wash/ wax/ clean and polish and change the fluids. and that gets boreing.

the other reason is the car drivers that wanted to jump on board when the 97/98 body style came out. it looks cool, kinda kidish (keeps us old guys feeling young), looks great when you dress it up! but it still gets truck milage and that will always seperate the car lovers from the truck lovers. cause us truck lovers would rather be comfortable getting 14mpg in town than squeazed in a shoe box getting 35mpg.

AM I WRONG !!!

Quick Reply: Buying, what should I be aware of?