Might Buy F150, would appreciate help and advice. Plese read

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might Buy F150, would appreciate help and advice. Plese read

Hi, I am looking at buying a used f150, the truck in mind is a 1999 4.6l automatic and 2wd. It has 80,xxx miles on it. The truck has 4 fabtech and 2 in. Body Lift w/ 33's. it has some power upgrades K&N intake and Exhaust.

I am just back from the war in Iraq and have saved up some money. I really like the looks of the f150 but dont want to waste all my hard earned money. With the truck having this many miles on it, it worries me. I am curious about the life expectancy of these trucks (engine, trans) and would like to hear so opinions (good and bad) from all the board members who read this post.

Worse case senario, I but it and shortly after have to replace engine and trans,

1. is this engine easy to come buy? I know the f150 is the best selling truck, but I have to ask.
2. Are the engines rebulid-able? I hear that that have been making smaller walls on the cylinders making them impossible to re-build? Is that true? I am not a wiz mechanic.
3. Are these trucks like hondas, where everything is hidden underneath something? Making it impossible to change oil and plugs? (i know there are alot larger engines for this truck, but once again I have to ask.)
4. what about the trans, good and reliable? easy to come by?

I guess thats all I realy have and want to thankyou in advance.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2003, 05:19 PM
I might even go as far as to say the 4.6 is ford's best engine. Thats a loaded statement because defining best is hard. But in terms of power and reliablity i would say it ranks very high. I think overall the 4.6 is one of the engines that doesnt really have any engine wide persistent problems, except for pinging. Most 4.6's like to ping, for me 89 octane fixes it.

Yes the engine is pretty easy to come by, ive seen em on ebay with just a few miles for around 1k.

The 4r70w transmission is a good transmission, also seen on ebay for a tad less than 1k. That is probably the trans you have.

I think overall maintainance is pretty easy except for plugs, changing them requires at least 4-5 beers.

I have a 98 with a 4.6, bought it at 90k, now at 120k, thats in about a year in a half. The only thing that happened was the alternator was shot.

The only larger engine is the 5.4, its a nice engine as well, i think its just a 4.6 with a longer stroke but ive never heard that verified, its major problem is plug spitting, but its pretty rare.

How much is the asking price? I love my truck and i think you'll find most people here are more than satisfied with theirs. Just take it for a drive and see how it suits you. Chances are your engine and tranny will last longer than you own the truck.

Oh and yes you can build these engines, plenty of aftermarket parts.

Old 10-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Thank you for the reply.

I hope to see more like this.

The asking price is not for sure yet But I think it will be 9,000,
I havent checked kbb, I should and will actualy, to me it seems fair

Old 10-02-2003, 05:39 PM
thats a great price.

Old 10-02-2003, 05:44 PM
sounds like you found a good truck. Only thing is its a 2wd with lift and big tires. Personally I would never lift a 2wd truck, but if thats what you want, be my guest.

As far as the motor, 80,000 miles is just broke in on a 4.6. Ive got 58,xxx on my 98 4.6 and i havnt had to touch the engine, other than oil, filters, and to clean it. I believe it is Fords bulletproof engine, and they like to rev! I wouldnt be thinking about a new engine--hell its only got 80k on it.
As far as the tranny goes, its a good tranny but you will need to check and make sure its not slipping before you buy it. Alot of people change their engine oil liberally but never think of their tranny, and next thing that happens is a 3 thousand dollar bill for a new tranny. So change your tranny fluid and filter as soon as you get it-should run you about 80 bucks.

Sounds like you got a good truck--let us know if you decide to buy it. If not, find another Ford and hang around the site and learn alot about it

Last edited by Green_98; 10-02-2003 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am going to try and arrange a test drive sometime soon. hopefully tonight. I am glad to hear all the good reviews about the truck and the engine.

If anyone has anything to say or add please do. thankyou

Old 10-03-2003, 01:49 AM
I just traded my '99 4.6L for a replacement '03 ( w/ 5.4L) the '99 had 220,000 Mi, mostly highway and almost always loaded with equipment. I would give the engine a firm reccommendation for reliability. I never had any trouble with it and only traded it in because I use it for work, Have a contractor shell that would not fit the new body style of the '04s and w/ 220 K just wanted to make sure that I had reliable wheels for my business. Good luck and welcome back!!

Quick Reply: Might Buy F150, would appreciate help and advice. Plese read