Diesel Fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diesel Fuel economy

Hi:
I'm in the market for a bigger SUV for the Wife's daily driver and for the whole family (6) WITH luggage.

I'm thinkin' Expedition, but would be more interested if it had a diesel. Any word on Navistar's 4.5l V6 powerstroke, If?, When?

I would move up to an Excursion but I've heard and read some negative stuff about reliability. Are the horror stories true? I mean anybody can get a lemon, right? But some designs are just dogs, so what's up?

Also, how's the fuel economy for the 6.0 Powerstroke in the Excursion? I hope y'all can provide lots of responses to sift through.

Thanks.

Old 09-06-2003, 09:16 AM
since nobody else chimed in, when i'm delievering fuel i get to talking with folks fueling up (bored) most powerstrokes get about 15 ish but most have a plan chip , mostly for pulling but they have one now that you can flip it to more mpg/pulling /stock
but either one is like a new moter 75 or so more horses hope it help's, my jr boss has a 250 and a Excursion . if you want room get an Excursion . anybody else

Old 10-13-2003, 12:47 PM
Greetings

Cant speak for others, but the Excursion is simply the best vehicle I have owned. Very reliable, virtually no service issues, rock solid. I have the 6.8 Triton gas engine, V10, which has more than adequate power and torque, added a PVTech Platinum injector that jumped the mileage about 15 -20%. We have 4 kids so needed something with a bit of elbow room, plus luggage space. The van didnt cut it for long hauls, the expedition didnt have any more luggage room than the van. The excursion can fit hockey sticks in sideways, and has carried vast amounts of stuff with humans as well. With the third row pulled, 2nd row buried, it takes full 4x8 sheets with no problem. It really doesnt warrant the "S" in SUV,, its an outright UV, and quite versatile. Highway milage is more than reasonable, but would not recommend as a primary city vehicle. Having said that, It is one of the few vehicles that I dont get stressed in in big city traffic. Few vehicles block the view, no one cuts you off, and space is always made available when you do slow lane changes.

Kent

Old 10-13-2003, 04:04 PM
Speaking of Diesel Economy.

I am into Diesels and will probably never own another gas powered car/truck.

It might take a few more years, we're only 10 years behind Europe anyhow.

Right now they could build Diesel cars and trucks that will get much better economy than ANY gas powered car.

You know the Toyota prius, that's supposed to get 55mpg?? MY Jetta TDI will do that on the highway and consistantly gets 43-45 in town.

Do I need an F250/350 to tow monstorous loads? No, I could probably do with an F150 with a nice medium sized Diesel engine that could say get 25-30+ mpg. Wouldn't that be great??

Or what about a ranger sized pickup that could get 35+ mpg?? It's possible I tell you!

As far as cars go, I have a VW TDI, but I'd probably like something a little larger, something in the stationwagon midsized vehile to haul my stuff around. I'd give up some mileage, but should still be able to get mid-40's on the highway right??

Until it happens I'll be patient, and keep the 4.6L until it dies, which I hope won't be for a long time.

Old 10-13-2003, 07:01 PM
msparks, a vw passat diesel is on the way to the u.s.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:34 PM
I had an 85 diesel Ranger 4x4 (or 86 I don't remember). It was a great off road vehicle. Top speed was 85 (81 if you ran the AC). It would do the quarter mile at 62 MPH in about 23 seconds. It could carry a load with out any real problems but it had problems pulling anything over 500 pounds even though it was rated at 4k. The best thing about it was the fuel milage 33MPG arround town and up to 40 if you kept it about 60 with no AC.

I wish Ford would put a turbo 6 (or 8) diesel in the F150 that had about 250 HP w/ 275 torque with a 6 speed auto or manual that would get decent fuel milage and could handle a load at a decent price.

Old 10-14-2003, 07:17 AM
I just recently purchased an '03 Expedition and love it. It will haul 4 to 5 people and luggage very comfortably. I don't know about 6 people and luggage though. With the third row seat up, there really is not much room for luggage. I hate to say it, but the Suburban may be the better choice if you don't want an Excursion.

Trending Topics

Old 10-14-2003, 08:31 AM
Doesn't the Excursion compete with the Suburban and not the Expedition?

Old 10-14-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by acadianabob
msparks, a vw passat diesel is on the way to the u.s.
In automatic only

what a crock, I have been waiting for something a little bigger than the Jetta. VAG just doesn't get it, the TDI is an enthusiasts car not one like a ****ing toyota for the masses,

Old 10-14-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Tsquared

I wish Ford would put a turbo 6 (or 8) diesel in the F150 that had about 250 HP w/ 275 torque with a 6 speed auto or manual that would get decent fuel milage and could handle a load at a decent price.
Yep, I'd trade tomorrow if that were the case.

HELLO FORD WAKE UP, ARE YOU LISTENING

Old 10-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kentwilkens
added a PVTech Platinum injector that jumped the mileage about 15 -20%.
I did a search on Google for the PVTech Platinum injector and came up empty.
What is it, and where can I read about it?

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2003, 01:24 PM
An Expedition would haul a large family and luggage if you put a luggage carrier on the roof rack.

Quick Reply: Diesel Fuel economy