first and last ford

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry first and last ford

Hi All...
wish i could have found a more positive club to join,
but i was very glad to find this site, a little more incouraging to know i'm not alone
I bought used 99 F150 XLT with a Triton 5.4 just four months ago,
it now has 48750 miles on it
last week, while in traffic, doing about 15mph, a plug blew out of the passenger side head taking with it all the threads.
it's in the shop now with an estimate of $3780.00 (cnd.) to replace the head,
i asked them if they could find a rebuilt one, they said there we're none available, (now i know why, these thing must be in pretty high demand)
Like everyone else here, i complained to ford only to be told that they had never heard of this problem and that they could do nothing for me because the warranty was expired. I'm still planing to fight them but not keeping my hopes to high,

funny part is i was allways a chevy man before, but this truck was so nice it changed my mind,

I guess i should have stuck with the chevy

Old 09-05-2003, 12:54 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
see ya

Chevy, dodge, toyota etc... Thay all have issues as do you my brother. You should have checked here for a used head before proceding and bashing....

Old 09-05-2003, 07:59 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, were those original plugs or did the previous owner change them? I had a '99 5.4L that I put 69k miles on before selling to my parents. That is a great truck! I changed the plugs at 59k miles myself.

Anyway, you just had bad luck. There are only a few million 5.4L engines in North America, yet I bet fewere than 5k have had the spark plug blowout problem. Sounds like good odds to me. You seriously want to get soemthing like the Chevy 5.3L? It has its own problems at a higher rate, although still a tiny percentage of production.

Old 09-05-2003, 09:00 AM
A much less expensive solution is a helicoil thread insert. Guy where I work had a blown plug. The dealer installed a thread insert for less than $200.

Be sure to ask the dealer why this option was not offered.

Old 09-05-2003, 09:17 AM
Did a web search on 1999 Chev Silverado problems and found too many to post:

1. I recently purchased a '99 Silverado from the dealership where I work. One of the problems I have experienced is with the wheel speed sensor inputs at low speeds. The bad inputs will be a few miles/hour off from the rest of them resulting in an Anti-lock Brake System failure. Distance to stop the vehicle is greatly increased and is very undesirable. This condition, most of the time will not set a trouble code and has to be checked at a dealership or at a garage with proper equipment.

The other problem is a buzzing noise that I have identified is the pump motor running. This is usually caused by a defective Electronic Brake Control Module. I have changed at least 4 of these on other trucks.

Both conditions described are very costly, especially for the average person whose warranty has run out. They are both also a potential traffic hazzard. As of now, I know no other way to correct either problem other than replacing the defective parts. I suggest you watch your rear view mirror, as there could another Chevrolet product that has to play "bumper tag" because it can't stop. Hopefully, we will not be "it!"

2. 99 Silverado, 4x4 4.8 V8 with 88k. Occasional (10 times in 4 years), I get what amounts to disengagement of the tranny at idle.

I've been stopped at a light or sign, attempt to pull out, only to have nothing, but in a split second, I get momentum. Not a slapping of the tranny, just "nothing", then you can feel the slight engagement and its fine. This is very intermittant, but odd. My brother in-law's Tahoe did the same thing.

I also have a very fuely smelling startup. Doesn't give a problem starting, just notice raw fuel smell.

At 88k, what detail of tune up should I be looking at? Running ok, but could be much better.

3. I have a 99 Silverado Z71, 5.3 Vortec with 105,000 miles on it. Over the past two months, it has become increasingly hard to start once the engine is warmed up. It starts fine when cold. I now have to give it gas to get it started and can then smell raw gas as if it were flooded. It has also stalled on me twice in the last month, something it has never done before. My initial thoughts were with the fuel pump or pressure regulator but it starts right up when cold and runs fine once started. I am wondering if the EVAP system could be failing and could this cause this type of problem or if someone else has had a similar experience.

I have changed the air and fuel filters, spark plugs and have run injector cleaner through a couple of times.

4. my 99 silverado started runing rough then the service light came on i went auto zone to read code it said misfire and o2 sensor i changed my plugs still have the rough runing can the o2 sensor cause it to run rough?or should i be looking somewhere else thanks for any help

5. hey I have a 99 silverado andi have a problem. It is very hard to start and haas very rough idling problems and sometimes it will die with me while am stopped...it's a 4.8 lit. when i start it you can smell gas real bad if anyone knows what it could be i thank you alot........ thank you

6. I have a 1999 Silverado 4.3 V6 it currently has 60,000 and just today when i put in on "DRIVE" the truck started shaking on the takeoff when i pressed on the gas. It feels like it lost some power and struggles to keep driving. Has anyone had this problem before? I was told it was probably the distributor cap but I think its the transmission?

7. Periodically when idling the gas gauge will jump all the way to empty even though it's full and the message center light will come on and show low fuel. When you give it gas, the gauge will go back to normal and the light will go off. It has been doing this for about the last 5,000 miles. Truck has 49,000 miles on it. Anyone have any idea what I should check? Hoping this is not the sensor in the fuel tank. ***Response: Join the club. Everyone with a 99 has this problem. The dealer told me it was air in the line and would be OK after a few fillups. That was a year ago. I've contacted Chevy about this and they play dumb to the problem. If you have ever contacted them before you will know they play dumb to all the problems with this truck.

***** Go to www.nhtsa.org Then to 'Problems & Issues' under Vehicle and Equipment Information and load in 1999 Chevrolet Silverado and you will find 1416 complaints. Now load up 1999 Ford F150 and then F Series (light) and you will find only 663...... and there are more F150's than Silverados out there.

Old 09-05-2003, 09:24 AM
I had an '02 F150 for 22,000 miles with no problems. I now have 1,000 miles on my '03 Expy and have a seal on the rear diff leaking. That doesn't bother me too much though. As long as the engine, trans and electrical systems hold up I can deal with lesser problems.

But a friend of mine had a '00 or '01 Chevy with the 5.3 that he recently traded on a new Silverado SS. He had replaced 2 upper control arms, power steering pump, ABS computer, 4x4 computer?, power window and the trans was starting to slip. If I had that many problems, I would probably switch brands.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:56 AM
One thing I have learned is that no matter what brand you buy there will be issues. I have owned Fords, Dodges, Honda and VW and all have had their issues. I thought I would never own another Ford after all the problems experienced with my Escape, yet the 03 Super Crew was the best deal for me at the time after weighing all the pros and cons. Don't ever say never.

Trending Topics

Old 09-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Fordpartsonline sells fully built heads, cam, followers, valves for $800.

Pete

Old 09-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Guy Roy makes a good point.

My experience supports the notion that some Ford dealerships leave a little if not a lot to be desired. My dealership was excellent until the factory warranty expired. Their good attitude, hospitality and service went south with the factory warranty. It is a shame that the quality of service at some dealerships does not measure up to the quality of the vehicle that they sell.

All who own a vehicle are not qualified to repair nor care to learn to repair their vehicles and depend on someone else to make repairs when they are needed. A dealership of the manufacturer of that vehicle should be an obvious place to seek that service and it should be a normal expectation that one will receive good and friendly service from those dealerships if for no reason beyond being a customer and driving a product that carries the name of the product that the dealership represents.

However, all dealerships may not be created equal and the plug problem may be consistent enough on enough 4.6Ls and 5.4Ls that a different dealership may offer you the support that you are seeking. Twere it me, I would try several.

I wish you good luck in resolving your problem.

George

Old 09-06-2003, 01:37 AM
Check thread " living w/ ford spark plug problems" very good in depth info on how to fix blown plug problem with minimum of $ and headache. Having worked in an independent shop for many years You come to see problems with all makes and models. If you treat your truck right, maintain it properly and don't abuse it, you can lower your chances of having major problems. I hope that you can use the information here to save yourself from having to make an expensive repair. Belive me when I tell you that the internet and sites like this are extremely helpful in solving problems. There have been many threads saying that the information learned here was related even to the dealer wrenches because they had not heard of a particular problem or the approprate fix. A little information can go a long way. Sorry you had a bad experence but as you have heard from many, these types of problems are all part of owning a modern vehicle. Good luck, let us know how you make out with your repair.

Old 09-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Almost smells of a troll. Registers just to flame the truck with the problem, and still no 2nd post.

Tell you what, drop the member only one an email and the two of you can complain over email in private.

Have an actual question, or want help with the problem try the search function, or post a question, not a flame.

Old 09-06-2003, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good point SSCULLY!

Old 09-06-2003, 03:19 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Guy Roy,

Where in Canada are you. Some of us may be able to help. Either with direct help on installation/parts/contacts or recommending a better dealer/shop to have the repair done. There are guys around that do head swaps in a day.

If you allready forked over the $$$ I feel for you. If you haven't then get back to us.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: first and last ford