california emissions warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy california emissions warranty

Hey guys,

This forum has been extremely helpful. Although I don't get to use this stuff too much, I do learn a lot. Thank you very much.

I have a question relating to fthe 2000 f-150 emissions warranty for the state of california. does anyone out there have a copy of the warranty? I've had to replace the PCM at a local dealership and they're charging me 800.00. If I understand it correctly, the PCM is covered under the emmisions defects warranty for the state of CA which is 8 years or 80,000 miles, and covers all emissions related components including the PCM. Am I correct, could someone review their warranty for me. I can't find a copy online. I would really appreciate the help.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:13 PM
The PCM is covered for 8/80 in all other States and 7/70 in CA.....unless you tamper with it.

Look in your owner's manual- it lists all the parts covered under the emmissions warranty.
This is off the Ford web site

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
California Manufacturer's Warranty Coverage

For 3 years or 50,000 miles (whichever first occurs):

If your vehicle fails a Smog Check inspection, all necessary repairs and adjustments will be made by Ford to ensure that your car or light truck passes the inspection. This is your emission control system Performance Warranty.

If any emissions-related part on your vehicle is defective, the part will be repaired or replaced by Ford. This is your short-term emission control system Defects Warranty.

For 7 years or 70,000 miles (whichever first occurs):

If an emissions-related part with coverage for 7 years or 70,000 miles is defective, the part will be repaired or replaced by Ford. This is your long-term emission control system Defects Warranty.

If Gross Vehicle Weight rating is over 14,000 lbs.: For 5 years or 50,000 miles (gasoline powered engines and vehicles) or 5 years or 100,000 miles (diesel powered engines and vehicles) (whichever first occurs):

If an emissions-related part on your vehicle is defective, the part will be repaired or replaced by Ford. This is your emission control system Defects Warranty.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Home skillet; 08-19-2003 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:52 AM
The dealers in CA try to tell people that emissions waranty covers only components directly related to smog reduction. ( I have even heard of people fighting over faulty EGR'S) When I purchased my new '03 last month they tried to sell the extended warranty and I mentioned that anything engine related is covered by the emission warranty. If you have a plug go bad, A wire burn up or any internal engine problem causing excessive emissions I would sure consider that an emission related failure. I know that is pushing it a bit but just about everything from the fan clutch to the electronics in the trans were designed with reducing emissions in mind. I wonder if anyone has pushed this issue here in the republic of California.

Old 08-20-2003, 08:24 AM
This was a concern for me also seeing that Mass. has tough emmissions also. Am considering an extended warranty at this point.

Quick Reply: california emissions warranty