water in my front diff

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water in my front diff

I just came from the local 'quickie lube' today and was told that I have some water or something in my front differential. My truck is a 99 F150 XLT SCab, 5.4, auto, 70K. I had the same thing once about 6 months ago at an oil change place and really just chalked it up to them selling me something I didn't need. I gave them the $30 to change the fluid really just to keep from having to go to the dealer to see if they were telling me the truth. Well, it happened again so I am thinking there may be some truth to it. Has anyone else had a problem with water getting into the front differential? The kid at the lube place said it may be getting in from the "breather tube"?? I am ashamed to admit that for the two years I have owned this truck I have never been underneath it, so I don't even know what he is talking about. I have had my truck off road maybe once in those two years and really just use it for my work. I don't even think it has rained where I live since my last oil change a month ago. I don't understand where this 'moisture' could be coming from.... thanks for any help!!!

Old 08-03-2003, 06:55 PM
If you've beenin water over your axles it probably did get in your breather tube. Relax, happens all the time, in your owners manual it will tell you that whenever you submerge your axles to change the diff fluids.

Old 08-03-2003, 10:34 PM
I don't see how someone could possibly tell there was water in a diff by just looking at it. You have an 8.8" front end. Unless you have had the truck in 3 feet of water I don't see how it would get in there. If it bothers you, take the fill plug out and stick you finger in there, if there is water it will be on the top of the fluid. Stick your finger in to the second digit then go straight down with it, if you come out with a brown milky substance, change the diff fluid. If not, don't sweat it.

Old 08-03-2003, 10:40 PM
The guy at the lube shop brought me a card with my fluids on it and the front diff was noticably more runny. There is no way I have had the truck in anything close to 3 feet of water. I guess I just puzzled because this is the second time it has happened

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-03-2003, 11:07 PM
They are after your wallet.

Old 08-04-2003, 12:29 AM
That's what I thought the first time, but twice, from different shops??? That would be quite a coincidence....

Old 08-04-2003, 10:11 PM
mtofell
I don't think they were totally after your wallet. I beleive that it had water in. Out of the almost 3 years I've had my truck I've changed mine twice and probably need to do a third time. The vent tube runs from the axle tube to the inner fender well on the passenger side and it's a horizontal position with the opening to the rear. My best guess is that over time moisture and road spray must get up there or water must seep in around where the tube fits into the axle tube. Next time I'm going to reposition the vent tube and see if I can't find a check valve to fit it.

It's not that hard to change, pull that drain plug then refill. It's a lot easier to do if you a a bottle adapter with a tube on it. I've got one all I do is screw tha adapter on insert the tube into the fill opening and turn the bottle up. Takes maybe 20 minutes to do.

Quick Reply: water in my front diff