High Altitude

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High Altitude

Hi all,
I've posted here a couple of times and I'd like to say what an EXCELLENT source of information this forum is - you can't buy the kind of expertise found here.

My question pertains to high altitude performance. I bought a 2001 Flareside w/5.4L, dual Magnaflow exhaust with 18k miles found here in the F150online classifieds. The truck was located in GA and having a '97 Flareside previously, I was immediately impressed by the performance the 2001 with the higher power output; until I got back into Denver, that is. I immediately installed my K&N FIPK, reset the computer and waited for it to relearn -- that was in January and I'm still waiting for it to relearn!
Two weekends ago I drove to Eastern Kansas and was reacqainted with the performance and response of the engine; it was difficult to keep the tires from chirping even from a rolling start.
What I've begun to notice lately, simply because I'm looking, is that after shutting down the engine and walking to the rear of the truck to the exhaust tips, do I notice a definite fuel smell indicating a too rich mixture. I often head to the mountains from 5800 ft up to 12,000 feet -- of course the performance degrades as I go higher up. I'm not getting any indication of missing or knocking or any other audible signals, nor do I have a check engine light.
So, is there anything other than re-chipping with a high altitude program that I check/replace in order for the computer to compensate for the higher altitude and cure the rich mixture?

Thanks for your information,
Tom
Denver,CO

Old 07-31-2003, 04:41 PM
I am not sure if it matters much any longer but Ford did have high altitude versions of cars/trucks. Contact your local dealer (Elway Ford ?) and see if they can re-flash your computer.

Or you could go with a Supercharger.

Old 08-01-2003, 11:00 PM
I used to live in a town at 5000+ ft; I had to re-tune my Firebird for the elevation. You can run more timing and a leaner mix w/out detonation to compensate a little, but the power will never be all there. What does this mean for you? I guess you'll have to go to the computer chip board and see if a custom tune is in order, but you'd probably be stuck up in the mountains forever! Good luck!

Old 08-02-2003, 02:20 PM
I have driven my 99 5.4 to and from Denver a couple of times, and have always been impressed by how well it continues to run, not only at the Denver altitude, but @ the high altitudes, 10, 11 12 thousand feet. My Expy also cranks out about 17 MPG even @ altitude, which is actually better than I get out of it here in California. Something is amiss in yours, I would guess. I know Ford offers a high altitude kit, but after driving mine in Colorado, I was wondering why anyone would even want one.

Quick Reply: High Altitude