synthetic vs dino in low miles truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
synthetic vs dino in low miles truck

A lot of dissusion on synthetic oil, my question is, on a truck with a 5.4 driven maby 4000 miles a year, is there any advantage to use synthetic oil "mobil 1, 5-30"? I changed last fishing season to mobil 1. I used to change oil before fishing season and before hunting season. how big of a consern is time between oil changes?
thanks in advance.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:16 AM
If your only putting 4,000 miles a year on your truck I would say there is no advantage. But as far as price goes it wouldnt really matter since you would only be changing oil once a year if that.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Driving fewer miles can actually be harder on engine oil. For example, if you drive shorter distances on a daily basis, condensation can form in your crankcase and prematurely degrade your oil. Synthetic oils are less susceptible to this, but then again you can always just keep your drain intervals around 3 months and use what ever conventional oil is on sale. Synthetics can also give you an added element of protection in extreme temperatures. They stay more fluid in colder temps and get to engine parts faster which helps avoid premature wear.

If I was only changing oil once a year, I think I would opt for a good filter and a synthetic in a grade compatible with my climate. -J

Quick Reply: synthetic vs dino in low miles truck