Dumb Question about oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dumb Question about oil change

I changed my oil last week. Second change for the truck, and first time I've ever changed my own oil. I did all the things I was supposed to. Drained the pan, removed the filter, replaced the plug and filter,(filled filter up with new oil before replacing), and filled the engine with 6 quarts of Valvoline 10W-30 full synthetic.

Now since I've never changed my own oil, this next part has me alittle nervous. I went to start the truck after all is said and done. Once the engine was started, it took a couple (1-2) seconds before the oil pressure gauge would register. Is that normal?

Alright down to the real reason I wrote this. After I did the chage and everything, it sounds (to me alteast) like the truck now has a nice little rattle to it when idling. Nothing huge or loud, but loud enough for my paranoid ears to pick up on.

What could be the cause? Is it going to harm anything?

Thanks for reading this and please reply if you have a thought.

Andrew

Old 06-18-2003, 01:38 PM
maybe its the oil. Everybody will agrgue when its the right time to change to synthetic, but most will agree that the conventional oil needs to break into the moving parts first before you go to synth.

Old 06-18-2003, 02:17 PM
JKL
What filter did you use when you changed it? Alot of the filters out there do not seem to work as well as the Motormaster one.
If I remember correctly it has to do with the drainback valve.

Just a thought.

Motormaster...Motorcraft is the brand I meant, I guess I shop at Canadian Tire to much!

Last edited by JKL; 06-19-2003 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the responces guys.

Just alittle bit more info:

- I used a fram filter.
- My truck only has 5300 miles on it.
- It's over a year old, however.

Old 06-18-2003, 05:16 PM
So you've only changed the oil in your truck "2" times in a 1 year period?

-Brian

Old 06-18-2003, 05:26 PM
Get rid of that "flim flam" Fram filter. The best filter(for the money) for our trucks is the Motorcraft. (silicone anti drainback valve)

You may also consider 5W-30 or the recomended 5W-20 oil for your truck. Mine idles smooth as silk with Mobile 1
5W-30. Makes a little noise,at start up, with M1 10W-30.

Old 06-18-2003, 07:16 PM
As for the low oil pressure taking a second or two to come up...yes that is pretty normal.
I never bother to fill the filter with oil first but even when you do fill it you are only going to get so much oil into the filter unless you are pumping the oil into it in a sealed environment.

The other thing is after you finish the oil change and have started it up, don't forget to double check the filter and plug for leaks as well as one final check of the oil level.

Just my 2 cents.

Stan

Trending Topics

Old 06-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Like wmcnally stated, get rid of the piece of chit Fram. It is a waste of money. I only use Motorcraft filters and in my opinion there is nothing better. They do not cost any more then Fram if they do is only penny's.

Frams are for Chevy's only, because Chevy's are use to sitting for very long periods of time...

Old 06-18-2003, 10:05 PM
You said you filled the filter up, then added 6 quarts of oil. I can be wrong, but that seems a little much oil for me.

I have only had my oil changed once since I have owned it (was a second car for me until 2 months ago) and I let someone do it then because it was the last use of a package deal I bought.

I remember them putting 5 quarts in, and after running it and checking the oil, they put approx 1 more quart.

I don't know if this will cause a ping, but I do know too much oil can sometimes be worse than not enough.

Maybe someone else will correct me if I am wrong.???

Old 06-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The delay is normal, you are waiting for the filter to fill with oil, and possibly the oil pump to prime. That's why it is good to change it on a warm engine and start it while everything is still warm.

The noise you heard, in my opinion, is your paying closer attention to the engine than you ever have before you changed the oil. It is followed by an obsession to change the oil frequently and can be cured by having a beer while you wait for the old oil to drain out.

I agree, the Motorcraft 5w-20 and Motorcraft filter combo is a very good choice. The Valvoline is ok up to 3,000, but is not as durable.

Old 06-19-2003, 04:58 PM
I agree with Greencrew!

Old 06-19-2003, 05:04 PM
Thanks for all the responses!

Looks like I'll be using Motorcraft next time!

One more question:

Would it be wise or a waste of time and money to go ahead and replace the oil and filter? Or should I just wait 3000 Miles?

Old 06-19-2003, 05:35 PM
A trick I use after an oil change is to hold the accelertor to floor and crank the engine unil you get oil pressure. This inhibits the ignition and it wont start, then turn the key off and start it normally.

jonny
1998 5.4

Old 06-19-2003, 08:13 PM
Your truck is new so the injectors make quite a racket. And you are using a Fram filter and a 10w oil. Which at a few shops around here cause a much louder start up in these engines.

You will be fine waiting 3k before changing the oil and filter.

Old 06-19-2003, 08:22 PM
the oil pressure thing is normal i believe, but your using the wrong oil, go to 5w30 and that filter is horrible, incidents of them actually bursting and throwing paper in your engine have been heard of. Also i realize you dont have many miles, however i would say it is to your advantage to up your oil change frequency a little.

Quick Reply: Dumb Question about oil change