redline

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redline

i was driven my dads f-150 w/ a 5.4 L and some eclipse pulls up to me, he revs up his engine (smoke puffed out his lol), and i reved up mine, he shut up, now to te point, i reved it up to 4500 (staight pipe exaust), did i redline it?, when is the redline, i know my dad took the rev limiter off... so i wasa wondering

Old 06-16-2003, 11:24 PM
If the truck is an XLT, it should have a tachometer. That is the gauge that reads the RPM's. If so, look at the little lines between the numbers. The first red line is,well, the red line. Running a vehicle to the red line once or twice "should not" hurt anything. I wouldn't worry about it.

I am assuming you have a manual, otherwise the tranny should have shifted right around the red line area when the gas is pushed to the floor and held there.

Old 06-17-2003, 02:05 AM
redless tack

My dad's tach for his 4.6 V8 2002 f150 has now red lines in teh tach. Goes up to 6,000 rpm with noooo red lines...

Old 06-17-2003, 06:47 AM
Ford doesn't leave it up to us to know when to lay off. They have a rev limiter. I've heard that the rev limiter will generally be set at around 5400rpm. You can't get an F150/ 5.4 with a manual transmission so you have the auto, and it will shift before you get to the limiter, usually between 5000 and 5200rpm. I don't think the tach has a "red line". Mine doesn't.

I don't know what your dad might have done to "remove" the rev limiter. I do know that with the use of a chip or tuner it is possible to raise the limit. It is possible to remove the speed limiter, which is there to keep people from exceeding the speed rating of the tires.

Old 06-17-2003, 09:11 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
ctd86,

Let me take a wild guess. You reved it up in neutral and the truck started to miss at around 4500rpm, and it would not rev any higher? If you are concerned that you caused damage to the truck, you did not. There is a neutral rev limiter that is set at around the 4500 mark. In drive, as mentioned, it is set to around 5400 rpm. Unless your truck is modded there is no need to remove the rev limiter. I have my revlimiter set at 6500 rpm. My son came home one day and told me the truck missed and bucked when he was driving it. I looked him in the face and told him that if he ever drove the truck over 5500 rpm again I would...... He then admited that he was reving the crap out of it. I neglected to tell him that I removed the chip and he could not rev it past the OEM setting.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 06-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Thanks all, no it didnt buck or anythig, i think the rev limiter was removed cause my dad said he hit over 100 and it didnt cut off..... but i did hit around 4500, quite funny the dude in the ecipse said "F'ing v-8", and the tach has no redline written on it, it goes up to 6000? i think

Old 06-17-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by JMC
ctd86,

Let me take a wild guess. You reved it up in neutral and the truck started to miss at around 4500rpm, and it would not rev any higher? If you are concerned that you caused damage to the truck, you did not. There is a neutral rev limiter that is set at around the 4500 mark. In drive, as mentioned, it is set to around 5400 rpm. Unless your truck is modded there is no need to remove the rev limiter. I have my revlimiter set at 6500 rpm. My son came home one day and told me the truck missed and bucked when he was driving it. I looked him in the face and told him that if he ever drove the truck over 5500 rpm again I would...... He then admited that he was reving the crap out of it. I neglected to tell him that I removed the chip and he could not rev it past the OEM setting.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
Thats a great story i like that.

Yeah there isnt a red line on the f150's far as i know. There is a rev limiter built in so, youll never hit the line. I believe in a stock 5.4 its about 5400-5600. In the 4.6 you can rev quite high as i hear it and not worry too much, and just as JMC said, hes hit 6500. Your limiter is probably still there but in any case, while driving dont worry unless it starts going past 5600, not sure about neutral. In any case there is gonna be a cut off showwhere and if your tuner is responsible he left it alone or put it in a generally safe place.

Gotta love v8

Quick Reply: redline