Please Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help!!!!!

I have a 2000 F150 XLT package with a 4.2 litre V6 engine with 5-speed transmission. About every 3 days or so when you're driving it (usually from about 50 mph and up to start) it shakes, and feels like it does before you get to a toll booth or a big stop, the bumps on the road that shake you like crazy ya know. You can feel it mainly from the steering wheel and seat panel. The whole inside shakes though, badly, like I described. I have taken it to a couple of different places, and would like other opinions on what this could be. The truck has 41 thousand miles on it and has done it since I got it when it had 37000 on it. I have had the EGR Valve looked at and that's not it. There's not a plug or wire misfiring because the check engine light has NEVER came on and it was checked on computer as well. I was told yesterday that it could possibly be a torque converter and I just need my transmission serviced. Could this be it? When it starts shaking, it will shake all the way until you completely stop, then when you start back, it will not shake and will drive fairly smooth. I have had new U joints put on, new tires, had the EGR valve looked at, had the plugs and wires looked at, what could this be!!!!!

Old 05-31-2003, 03:23 PM
First of all, if you have the 5-speed transmission you don't have a Torque converter. Vibrations @50 mph & up are usually wheel/tire vibration. You never mentioned having the wheels or frt. suspension checked, I'd have that done first. Even though you had new tires installed, they could be defective.

Old 05-31-2003, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. This shaking has happened even without the new tires. I've had the tie rods looked at on the wheels. No problem there. I have had this stuff looked at, even by the Ford dealer. Could it be faulty plugs or wires? I would think that would set off the check engine light though and would show up on a computer test, but everything has checked out fine on the computer test, which leads me to believe it is something with the transmission.

Old 06-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well

Tailgator is right, there is not Torque Converter in a manual transmission. It sounds like a Transmission slip to me...Have your transmission brought in and serviced.

Old 06-01-2003, 04:49 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Why were the U joints replaced? Were they worn out or was it done while chasing down the vibration? Does it vibrate when acclerating or decellerating?

DO you have a limited slip differential. Axle code H9 or B6?

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 06-01-2003, 08:48 PM
How's the power when this happens? Does your engine seem to lose power at all? Your symptoms makes me think the engine isn't running on all its cylinders when this happens.

In some ways, it sounds like fuel starvation, but the fact that it clears up when you come to a stop seems to debunk that theory.

In other ways, it almost sounds like what happens when you hit the rev limiter.

Wish I knew how to help you.