Not an exhaust leak.... What could it be??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not an exhaust leak.... What could it be??

I have an '01 Supercrew 5.4 and it sounds like i have an exhaust leak on the driver's side. I brought it to the local muffler shop and he couldn't find anything.. and couldn't hear it at an idle. you can only hear it when you get on it. Anyone have a clue what it could be... Do i bring it in?? or just not worry about it??

Old 05-27-2003, 01:03 AM
I have seen people find nagging exhaust leaks using trans fluid. use manifold vac. to sucka little trans fluid in. It will make white smoke that is very easy to spot under the hood if you have a leak.

Old 05-27-2003, 08:42 AM
crew313

A friend at work had the exact same problem. It sounded like a classic Ford exshaust leak, but was too high up. Thought at first it was exhaust gasket, but found out it was the hose coming from the EGR valve. Simple fix. Hope that's all it is, good luck.

Pete

Old 05-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Some times this is the noise that some have described before a plug launched.

If it only happens under load, either keep an eye on it to see if it starts doing it while idling, or go ahead and check the TQ on all the plugs.

This is just what I read through in the posts on 5.4L launching plugs.

Take the time to check out the EGR lines, and if you just want to take the 2 hours to check all the plugs it might be worth it.
I am keeping an ear out for this sound, that is the only reason I make note of it.

I hope it is not this, but jsut something that I have read others make note, and again it was heard at idle, not under load. Maybe they did not make note of it under load, or it is no where near the same thing ( hope the latter ).

The thought on this is this is the noise made by gas escaping past the plug which is slightly un threadded. Just a guess on the poster's part. Got me if it is true or not.

Old 05-29-2003, 01:05 AM
I too have the same rattling/ticking noise on my 2000 F-150 with 5.4 and 71k miles on it. It seems to due it under a load such as hauling a load or going up a hill. There is no performance problems, and I have replaced my sparkplugs with Motorcraft double platinums and are torqued down. It is engine ping, as what many of the dealers I have went to to fix it have said. They acknowledge the noise, replace something, but still the ticking is still there. We have to find out what this noise is! It seems to be coming from the passenger side or driver side part of the engine. If I am going down the road and going up a hill, if I turn my wheels to the left or right, depending on where I am sitting, it will amplify the noise.

Quick Reply: Not an exhaust leak.... What could it be??