Do i need a rebuilt engine? New tranny too?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do i need a rebuilt engine? New tranny too?!?

I just bought my first truck. Its a 1985.....f150 of course. Only paid 400 believe it or not and its well worth 800 or so. Either way I would like to make her look and purr like new, or somthing like new atleast. I went to autozone to see how much a rebuilt 4.9 in line 6 would cost me. Came to 949.99 if I traded in my old one. Whats wrong with my old engine? Besides its old and seems to need a new radiator hose nothing that i can tell off hand. My truck shakes when cruising in lower rpms. Who knows whats that about. I asked him about rebuilt transmissions and its somewhere around 800. I told him that its a little hard to shift into the gears and he tells me I just need a new clutch. Im no mechanic but the last time I checked the one thing had nothing to do with the other. Now I think id save money If I just rebuilt it myself but I'm not even sure what rebuilding means. Please answer my questions in detail and give me plenty of advice. My friends dad is a mechanic so I think Id be able to get discounted products through him. Thank you for your time. for ford
camplo

Old 05-19-2003, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before you even think about a rebuilt engine, make sure you really need one. The easiest thing to do is to check the compression, hot and cold. If that checks out ok and the engine sounds good, don't do anything major to the engine other than a major tune up.

I've rebuilt several engines and it's not hard to do so long as you have the specs, tools, a manual, and a good machine shop.

As for the tranny, find a transmission shop you trust to tell you what's going on, then get the opinion of others.

The last thing you want to do is to put too much money into an older truck unless you want to restore it and keep it forever.

Old 05-19-2003, 08:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
That engine may not be all worn out, it might just be carboned and sludged up. I've seen people have good results after two treatments of Auto-RX. You can find it at auto-rx.com. It's a less expensive way to find out than an engine rebuild.

You can't fix worn rings without a rebuild, but if they are not worn and just gummed up you can clean that crud out. It will also clean carbon off of the valves and help them to seal up better.

If Auto-RX and a good tune up don't work then look at a rebuild.

You can use Auto-RX to clean up the transmission too, add 6oz once and drive 1000 to 2000 miles then replace the fluid.

Quick Reply: Do i need a rebuilt engine? New tranny too?!?