How can you tell if the fan clutch needs replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

My 97 was making the same chirping noise when cold and then the fan clutch sounded like it was engaged all the time. I oiled what appeared to be a bearing at the rear of the fan clutch and it has been fine. It is hard to get to, but I have a small bottle of Remington Gun Oil that I use on my semi-autos and this did the trick. This was probably two months ago.

Old 03-15-2003, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We put the new fan clutch in today and voila, everything works better and no noise The old one was completely shot . . . you could spin it like it was a top and you could hear it griding as it spun.

As far as the install goes, pretty much like everyone had posted in previous threads. The most difficult part was getting the old one off. We had to make a tool that held 2 of the bolts on the pulley so that we could leverage that against the action used to break the clutch free (couldn't find a fan clutch remover tool in town). Had to unattach the rad hose and intake to get everything out, but nothing too major. The most time consuming part was installing the new one and trying to get the threads lined up and started.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. Now I have to focus on fixing my window mechanism since I busted that a couple of weeks ago in the cold. I thought ut was just the handle, which I replaced, but I think the track is messed up. Oh well, more Spring projects

Quick Reply: How can you tell if the fan clutch needs replacement?