$520 to fix Check Engine Light!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$520 to fix Check Engine Light!!!

Allright, you guys ready for this one...

Went to Ford this morning because my check engine light has been coming on and off for about the past 6 months or so, and they told me it would be $80 to pull the code, which I already knew.

They diagnosed it as a burnt-out DPFE sensor, which would be $160 to replace (parts & labor) plus $40 to re-set and re-program the computer. So now we're up to $280.

Then they told me that because I let it go for so long (6 months) all of my EGR passages and chambers had become very badly clogged with carbon deposits and they would have to clean those out at the same time they replace the DPFE sensor. Cleaning the EGR passages and chambers would take 3 hours of labor at $80 an hour for a total of $240. So add that to the $280 and now we're up to $520!!!

I kind of felt like my hands were tied at this point. I trusted them that the DPFE sensor was indeed burned out, but I wasn't quite sure that because I let it go for so long, I caused all of this carbon build-up in the EGR passages. But, I went ahead and bit the bullet and told them to do the work.

Anyone else out there ever experience this? Does $160 sound reasonable to replace the DPFE sensor? Does $240 sound extreme to clean the EGR passages? The only thing that eases my pain is the fact that I've had the truck for 4-1/2 years and this is the first thing that I have ever had to fix on it, besides routine maintenance...

Old 01-21-2003, 01:12 PM
It's amazing what some shops charge just to tell what's wrong with the truck. $80/hr just for labor?!?!?!?!???? ouch!. The exhaust shop that I work at in town here, we go for about $60/hr. Still pricey but damn, lol Cleaning out the passages for the EGR valve shouldn't be too bad. I did this before when my EGR went out on my truck several months ago, mine is a 91 F150. I just bolted the tube off the manifold and dumped some brake kleen down then soaked it some Gasoline, it wasn't too bad but it was in need of it. I would say try replacing some of that crap yourself, sensors that way I see it just basically amount to a switch that monitors a specific part of the engine, it's amazing what those stupid little things run for. Try replacing some of the stuff yourself and see what happens and save yourslef a couple hundred Hope it works out for you.

From within our souls, Stood Strong throughout the years, This runs through our veins, We stay true to ourselves -Hatebreed-

Old 01-21-2003, 05:15 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
butter-cheese,

If you are incapable of doing the work then yes it sounds reasonable. Could you have had it done cheaper. Yes definately, but not at a dealer. Other shops might not have cleaned the EGR passages and soaked you for another $80.00 in a few months when they had to scan the codes again.

If you want to save $$$ then, as mentioned by 91, learn to do it yourself. I built up my tool box by pricing the repair VS my skill and the cost of the required tools. I usually get the cheaper of the two. Barring doing the work yourself go out and find an independant mechanic that you can trust.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 01-21-2003, 05:22 PM
Smile JMC

Sorry to keep buggin you......
But how did you inbed the pic of your truck into your postings ?

CHEERS

Old 01-21-2003, 05:46 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Use the following code;

[xxx]URL for image in Jpeg format[/xxx]
replace xxx by img There should be no spaces between the brackets.

JMC

Last edited by JMC; 01-21-2003 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"$40 to reset & reprogram the computer"

Forgive me fellas, but I'm learning too.
Is there really any "reprogramming" involved, or is this 40 bucks just for re-setting the computer? (removing the terminal and letting it sit for 20 minutes so that it resets its self)

Habibi

Old 01-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Replaced mine cost about 38.00$ and took about 10 min. Have the star tester so took about 1 min. to reset. Do know that the dealer had about 30 sensors in stock so I think they are having problems with them. Did not clean out my tube but have not had any probs.

1999 f150
178,000 miles

Old 01-22-2003, 12:23 AM
I agree, learn how to repair as much as you can, not only can you save money, but you can eliminate headaches as well.
Try cleaning your MAF, I used brake ceaner on a Q-tip, and washed the sensor. After my cleaning I also threw in a couple of bottles of Cheveron, Techron fuel system cleaner. It took my pinging away, and the check engine light went off and has stayed off. It amazed me just how sensitive the sensors are, just by looking at it, it looked clean, after the cleaning I saw just how dirty is was.
Several posts on this site also eplain about cleaning the DPFE, and EGR as well. A while back I did take off my DPFE, and took a look at it, it did not seemed dirty at all, so I did not clean it. This spring though, once it warms up I am going to clean it and take a look at the EGR as well. It seems that there are history of some carbon build up on these units, I will have 106k before too long, so I assume I will have some build up. We will see.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: $520 to fix Check Engine Light!!!