How much oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much oil?

I have a 1993 f150 4x4 with a newly rebuilt 302 that I just recently put in it. The ford manual says 6 quarts with filter change. 6 quarts reads above the full on the dipstick after running the engine and letting it cool down! Should it have said 5 quarts instead? I used the same oil pan that was on the original engine. I bought this truck 2 months ago it had 195000 miles on it and needed a new motor. I had not changed the oil prior to the motor change. My 88 mustang 5.0 takes 5 quarts with filter. When I first read the manual I thought that maybe the truck 302 has a bigger oil pan on it but now I'm confused. Has anybody experienced this?

Old 01-19-2003, 03:33 PM
Your F150 with a 302 has a (I think) FL-1A Motorcraft filter or equivlant. This is a 1 quart filter. When you change your oil & your filter you are dumping all of the oil out. When you replace the oil it all goes to the oil pan & doesn't fill the filter until the engine has been run. Once the filter is full it will remain close to full leaving only 5 quarts in the pan. It only takes about 5 seconds or less to pump the oil into the filter after a change.

Yes, your 302 in your truck has a bigger pan than 302 in your 'stang. If you check the oil in the mustang immediatly after an oil change (before running the motor) you will find that this is also slightly overfilled.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-19-2003, 04:29 PM
Are you using a cheap filter that allows the oil to drain back into the pan and showing over full?

Old 01-19-2003, 09:47 PM
I have been changing my own oil for 25 plus years so yes I ran the engine. In fact I drove it down to the store and back. so that's not the problem. I'm not sure about the filter though. I put a napa gold filter on this time after hearing alot of good things about them. It's possible that its draining back out but I dont know how to check that. I'll problably change it and see what happens. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2003, 10:07 PM
I have the same problem with my 5.4 and I use the recomended Motorcraft oil filter. I haven't noticed any problems though. It's the second time I've changed the oil myself on this truck and had the same result.

Old 01-26-2003, 07:31 PM
Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you hadn't run the motor yet when it was reading 1 qt. over.

Your truck should take at least 6 quarts. I'm wondering if somebody got to it before you and maybe put a different engine in or changed the pan with a smaller pan. I think those pans had a habit of rusting out.

Maybe sombody called the salvage yard and asked for a pan for a '93 Ford 302. The yard just happened to have a blown 302 from a mistang in the back & sold them that pan. Just an idea.

Quick Reply: How much oil?