Old 04-13-2015, 12:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Do you need to fix a spark plug blow out? Forum members suggest various methods to fix the problem. The methods include:

Read the full discussion below to find out the preferred methods.
        Print Wikipost

living with ford spark plug blow out problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:50 AM
        Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
        just had this happen. Mechanic used a Jet brand insert? Anyone heard of this brand?

http://www.jetequipment.com/en/produ...0&groupid=1744

I am in Canada

Last edited by battscrew; 05-21-2012 at 10:55 AM.
        Old 05-21-2012, 12:30 PM
        Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
        Originally Posted by battscrew
        just had this happen. Mechanic used a Jet brand insert? Anyone heard of this brand?

http://www.jetequipment.com/en/produ...0&groupid=1744

I am in Canada
        Never heard of it. Yea, let us know if it holds.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:40 PM
        Nutserts

My exsperience. If you have recently replaced your plugs and 1 blew out, expect more to do the same. Mine, 5.4L V-8, only blew out in the last hour of a 12 hour drive to & from my sisters. Chesapeake, VA. to Ellenburg, NY; 13 miles from Canadian border. I had 3 plugs blow out B 4 I removed the heads & had nutserts installed by my local head machine shop in all spark plug holes. 2 years later no problem! Good luck.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 PM
        no older plugs. Is there any advanced warning signs? Should I change the sparkplugs in the other cylinders?

Old 05-21-2012, 02:09 PM
        Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
        Quite often you hear something that sounds like an exhaust leak shortly before it blows. Just retorque the plugs to 28 ftlbs. If one blows, the Timesert is a proven permanent fix. Install any new plugs dry at 28.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:01 PM
        I have Timeserts in all 8 cylinders, installed plugs with anti-sieze, 28ft lbs torque as stated. 2 years no problem, but most recommend dry plugs as stated! Driven around town/freeway locally & 1 12 hour trip to sisters & 12 hours back, no problem. You can buy a plug with the nutsert attached @ NAPA, it is made for these engines, 17mm socket! Just my info. No warning signs on my 3, just blew out of head, landed between head & intake 3 times!
        I replaced all COPs also, $98 on line for 8 COPs. $54 @ Autozone or Advance Auto. Universals 3/8 & 1/4in handy with wobble extension. 3/8 & 1/4 in thumb ratchets handy! 7, 8 & 10 mm sockets will take everything apart. As stated many times if u blow a plug away from home remove the fuel rail feed 4 that plug, then drive home. I did this for 26 miles twice! Change oil after blowing a plug! I have 118k+ miles on my 02 Supercrew Lariet. 18k on nutserts & plugs.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:57 AM
        the infamous 5.4

I have a '98 club wagon with the infamous plug thrower 5.4 and have thrown 2 to date. Both times the classic hiss and tick. One 2 years ago and 1 this year. Other than this problem I love the van. Have 230k miles on it. I've changed the plugs myself over the course of several years, no small task on that engine in a club wagon for a back yard mechanic. About to go on a family vacation with a 13 hour drive and wondering if having the other 6 done is recommended. My mechanic doesn't think I need to but wondering what you all think?

Thanks for the input

Old 05-25-2012, 10:51 AM
        Received 1 Like on 1 Post
        Depends on how you installed them?

Retorque the plugs to 28 ftlbs. Dry at 28. If there not installed this way,you could always have a problem!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:13 AM
        Originally Posted by msgtcarew
        I have Timeserts in all 8 cylinders, installed plugs with anti-sieze, 28ft lbs torque as stated. 2 years no problem, but most recommend dry plugs as stated! Driven around town/freeway locally & 1 12 hour trip to sisters & 12 hours back, no problem. You can buy a plug with the nutsert attached @ NAPA, it is made for these engines, 17mm socket! Just my info. No warning signs on my 3, just blew out of head, landed between head & intake 3 times!
        I replaced all COPs also, $98 on line for 8 COPs. $54 @ Autozone or Advance Auto. Universals 3/8 & 1/4in handy with wobble extension. 3/8 & 1/4 in thumb ratchets handy! 7, 8 & 10 mm sockets will take everything apart. As stated many times if u blow a plug away from home remove the fuel rail feed 4 that plug, then drive home. I did this for 26 miles twice! Change oil after blowing a plug! I have 118k+ miles on my 02 Supercrew Lariet. 18k on nutserts & plugs.
        msgtcarew,
        I'm not clear on the timing of your inserts being installed. Are you saying your 3 blowouts occurred after the Timeserts were installed, and then you installed the nutserts? If so, did the Timeserts fail, or did the plugs come out of the Timeserts? Or are you using the terms Timeserts and nutserts as the same thing? Sorry, I just didn't follow the sequence, and I thought Timeserts were a permanent repair.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 AM
        Timeserts

Originally Posted by holler1
        msgtcarew,
        I'm not clear on the timing of your inserts being installed. Are you saying your 3 blowouts occurred after the Timeserts were installed, and then you installed the nutserts? If so, did the Timeserts fail, or did the plugs come out of the Timeserts? Or are you using the terms Timeserts and nutserts as the same thing? Sorry, I just didn't follow the sequence, and I thought Timeserts were a permanent repair.
        Blowouts happened before Timeserts installed! 1st plug blew out, chased threads, taped for Timesert, inserted Timesert, new COP & plug. Did the same when next 2 blewout. Then pulled heads installed Timeserts, new plugs & new COPs in remaining 5 cylinders. Never a problem after Timesert installed in any cylinder head location!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:53 PM
        Bubbling

Just got done installing 2 big-serts in my 2005 4.6, after 1st one was done I tried starting the engine, it did not start and acted like it was hydro locked. I removed all plugs and it cranked over fine with mist (fuel) blowing out front 2 cylinders. I then did the second big-sert when I found an old insert came out with one of the plugs. While determining valves-closed position with the 'air hose plug' provided with the kit I heard bubbling in the intake manifold area while turning the engine by hand. Anyone else experience this?

Old 12-22-2012, 08:27 PM
        Never had the bubbling after 3 plugs blew @ different times. The odd plug/insert you removed may be the 17mm repair plug with insert NAPA sells. The kit is a plug with he insert attached. 2 years, 11,000 miles after Timeserts installed in all plug wells & no problems! Cost me $175 for a head shop to install 5 timeserts. I removed/replaced heads & replaced timing chains etc. & water pump same time. Replaced belt tensioner arm with pully and serpentine belt also. New gaskets everywhere. If you blow a plug on a trip be sure to disconnect the fuel injector electrical connector for that cylinder, I drove 32 miles like that when my 3rd plug blew. No problems or damage to engine, just less power.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:02 PM
        Bubbling

I thnk your correct on the old insert, it was smaller than what I replaced it with. Good tip on driving with blown plug also. I am hoping the bubbling I heard as I rotated the crank was not the compressed air being forced through a blown head gasket. I bought the truck in this condition and have not run it yet.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 PM
        No Start after insert install and new coil

Installed new plugs and one coil, engine will crank but not start, fuel dripping from exhaust. Engine did run with the blown plug, now seems to have no spark. I tried entering the door-unlock code and disconnecting the battery.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 PM
        Sounds like the fuel injectors are working. Hope you saved the old COP, especialy the boot & spring. With 2 people, remove a COP, use the old spring, stretch it about 1/2 inch, attach spring/boot & elecrical connector. 1 person hold COP so end of spring is about 1/2 inch away from a good grounded engine bolt, other person crank engine. Should get 1/2 inch blue spark, not orange. Do to each COP to see if all are firing.

Quick Reply: living with ford spark plug blow out problem