Poor-mans FIPK

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor-mans FIPK

I'm sure others have tried this and I'm interested to hear how it worked for them, but it looks good so far to me. I already had a drop-in K&N, but with the restrictive parts in front, it didn't make much difference. I really did not want to spring for the after-market FIPK.

I got to looking at the factory housing for the air filter for a better way. The end that the filter resides in, between the mass air flow sensor and the fender, is in two pieces that are snapped together. One piece hold the filter and the other is the snorkle that goes through the fender. Just beyond the filter, where the two pieces snap together, the i.d. is about 3 1/4". The end of the snorkle, where it comes out in the fender is only about 1 1/2" i.d. By simply unsnapping the snorkle from the rest of the housing, you significantly increase the available air. I drove it around quite a bit today and it really seemed to make a difference in off the line performance.

The hole that goes through the fender is about 3 1/2" i.d. My next step is to try to come up with a way to adapt the factory filter housing to the hole in the fender while retaining the larger diameter giving true cold air with less restriction than factory. I have a few ideas. If I can get it together I will post a few pics in my gallery.

Old 01-09-2003, 12:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just an idea from other things I have tried....

3" brake duct hose fits through the hole.

Maybe a small chunk of 3" brake duct hose attached to the end of the stock filter housing, and then put into the fender well ?

It is MUCH easier to run the brake duct hose through the fender if you take out the fender well liner.

Just a thought, that might make things easier on you.

I got this site from either easterisland or Don's Bolt:
http://www.pitstopusa.com/BRAKEDUCTS.asp

Old 01-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... I built my own air filter kit. I could'nt justify paying well over $450.00(CAB) for a fancy pipe and filter. Here's mine. It cost me about $235.00(CAN).

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-793-12118.jpg
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-793-12119.jpg

Old 01-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Neal,

I've seen your videos, it obviously works. What did you use for the pipe?

Mike

Old 01-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... MIKE : The pipe is a short radius 90 degree mandrel bend made from HEDMAN. It's 3.5" in diameter. It has a custom fabricated "FUNNEL" tube that tapers from the 3.5" intake tube to the 2-3/4 stock TB.

Old 01-10-2003, 01:49 AM
Neal,

COOL pic's and video.

What tire manufacturer sponsor's you?

Quick Reply: Poor-mans FIPK