97 f150 4.6l dies at idle. P0401 EGR Insufficient Flow Code!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 97 f150 4.6l dies at idle. P0401 EGR Insufficient Flow Code!!!

Engine dies at idle. I have to keep it revved to keep it running. Drops to 400 rpm then dies. Runs above 500 rpm. Check Engine light on. DRB2 code = P0401 . A friend that works at my local ford dealership says to start by just pulling the throttle body & cleaning it and the EGR plunger in the EGR valve. If that doesn't work he recommends replacing the PFE Sensor & IAC. This just happend out of the blue, but I noticed before it happened my engine begin pinging. related? Any online sites of the engine diagram? Any help appreciated.

tia
kmj1

Old 01-06-2003, 10:55 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track. Does sound like the IAC is sticking. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2003, 06:56 PM
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM HOW DO I FIND THE EGR VALVE PLEASE HELP ME IM @ 130K AND NEED TO CHANGE STUFF

Old 10-24-2003, 07:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the EGR valve is located on the driver's side of the truck, up by the firewall. it is silver and looks similar to a saucier or disk. there will be a small vacuum hose plugged into the top of it. the 4.6L is notorious for clogging up in the EGR flow ports. a black tar like substance will build in these ports and stop the flow of the Exhaust Gas. You'll need to clean the throttle body and the TB neck. there is like 4 bolts holding the neck on, and you'll have to remove the EGR valve to get it off. its not difficult, just take your time. you'll see the two small openings that dump into the combustion cycle. scrape all of the black tar junk out of there, and spray some TB cleaner down the ports... also, if you buy a new DPFE($50), or EGR($50) valve go to NAPA or Autozone, ford wants way too much for these parts. you'll be amazed at the build up in the TB neck.

Old 10-24-2003, 11:15 PM
This happened to me a few weeks ago, it was the IAC... $60 for a new one at the local parts store and about 15 mins to replace the old one with it... My baby's running like new again

Old 10-25-2003, 10:44 PM
Clean needed

I just went though the same problem with my Expedition 4.6L engine. I replace egr system parts first, but I should have clean out that throttle body first. That's were the real problem was, I still got that P0401 code after every part I replaced, but when I cleaned out the ports I got no more code. Once opened, you can clearly see that they were very clogged and had built a small hill of carbon on them. Invest in your own code reader, I got one on sale for $99 and its paid for it's self already. $70 a scan in my area. Thanks to the group, because I was at a lost until I read about this solution.

Quick Reply: 97 f150 4.6l dies at idle. P0401 EGR Insufficient Flow Code!!!