How to remove a 5.4? Fit from Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 03:53 PM
Rog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove a 5.4? Fit from Hood?

Question - does the 5.4 come out from the hood, underneath or body off? Just thinking of replacing the engine when it goes, can I just use the cherry picker or is it something more serious? Just doesnt appear to be enough room from a rough look. Anyone done it? What did you pay for a long block rebuilt or crate or ?

Old 12-22-2002, 04:20 PM
Old 12-22-2002, 05:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... If you remove the hood and rad, it can be takin out normally through the top. I can't see it taking more than 6-7 hours to get my 5.4 out of my truck. Though my engine compartment has been set-up for ease of this and spark plug removal.

Old 12-23-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Neal
HI!... If you remove the hood and rad, it can be takin out normally through the top. I can't see it taking more than 6-7 hours to get my 5.4 out of my truck. Though my engine compartment has been set-up for ease of this and spark plug removal.
What have you done to make it easier? Just curious.

Old 12-23-2002, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... offroadmaniac : Well let's see.......
I've relocated my battery to the rear of the truck, eliminated the climate control vacuum canister, relocated my washer fluid tank and reduced it's size, relocated a bunch of vacuum lines as well as eliminating many, relocated my DPFE sensor and EGR VACUUM SOLANOID to the firewall, relocated the P.S resivoir to the driver's side inner fender, lengthened and relocated several wire harnesses, no A/C or it's components, twin electric fans to eliminate clutch fan and shroud, installed engine plates, shortened and relocated heater hoses, lengthened alternator cable, capped off coolant linegoing from front of manifold to TB ELBOW back down to rear of engine block. There's probably more things but I can't remember them now. Just be moving stuff around in the engine compartment I can do a passenger's side sparkplug change in under 10 minutes now.

Quick Reply: How to remove a 5.4? Fit from Hood?