wanting advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wanting advice

I have 97 ford f150 w3door and it has the v6 in it. what i am looking for is that if i can change the v6 to a v8 probably the 302 can the 302 bolt up to the five speed tranny? now i know that is alot to ask cause some will say should have bought a v8 first well my wife wanted a truck but not the v8 in it and i already owned a truck with the v8 in it chevy. yea i own a ford and chevy but not the chevy truck anymore. why i am asking is we have to much money in this truck and now the value has dropped alot and we owe more on this truck than what it is worth so by me asking if this can be done i do not want to give up the truck and i like the body style. i know i will be infesting alot but if i am going to keep this truck a long time i would think to fix the way i like it. any advice anyone can give thanks.

Old 12-07-2002, 03:46 PM
I dont think you want to consider converting to a 302. You would want to convert to a 4.6 or even a 5.4. In order to keep your manual tranny, youd have to go with the 4.6. 5.4's dont come wtih a manuel. You also have to consider the wiring harness cause youll probley have to have a different harness. Honestly IMO, I would not try to convert your truck to a V-8, rather sell your V-6 and buy a 97 or whatever year you want with a 4.6 or 5.4. Changing over to a V-8 would be more of a headache than you might want, unless you want to pay someone to do it.

Old 12-07-2002, 05:01 PM
You could try looking in junkyards for wrecked 97' fords with the 4.6L engine. You could problably get a 4.6L really cheap. Then have someone put the engine in your truck. That's quite a bit of work though. So you might want to think about selling yours as Green98 said, and buy a 97 with a v8 in it.

Old 12-07-2002, 09:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what is your level of experience with cars and trucks, how many motors have you pulled and replaced, have you rebuilt any or how many sets of headers have you installed.

do you have the ability to fab brackets and mounts, do you have have welder and fabricating equipment?

how much experiece do you have with electronics and trouble shooting bad electronics and shorts.

how much do you want to spend? what do you think a project like this would cost?

how long do you intend to have the truck out of comision?

what are your expectations, a stock mustang 302 makes 225 h.p. and 300 ft lbs. of torque. i think the v-6 is 205 and 275 torque (i am guessing) is 20 h.p. and 25 ft lbs of torque what you are looking for?

Quick Reply: wanting advice