'97 4.2L Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A new set of gaskets maybe?

Well, I have been driving a 1997 F150 with the now infamous 4.2L V6. I have about 65,000 on it now and just the other day, I noticed that I was not getting much heat into the cab. Hmmmmmm. My first thought was low a coolant issue. I was right, as the reservoir was completely empty. I filled it up with about a gallon of coolant/water mix, but decided to take the truck straight to my ASE Certified Mechanic, who has lots of Ford knowledge and experience. He will pressure test the system Monday, and after reading the issues all over this board, I think we all know that new gaskets are in order for several hundred dollars. Since when did the intake gasket become a wear and tear part? I will keep the bad parts and receipts then I will post the results of the damage to my wallet and truck as well. Ford has never been very good at taking ownership of their engineering problems and poor design, so it is not a surprise to me that they are in pure denial and playing stupid with everyone.

MikeinMD.

Old 02-09-2003, 08:40 AM
Angry Just had my 4.2 in for service

I just took my 4.2 in for service with instructions to replace all gaskets. They fixed the front cover and didn't touch the intake dispite me telling them to replace them anyways. I didn't know the work was not done until I picked it up. The front cover was $670. They pressure tested it and said the intakes were ok but the front cover and the crank seal were leaking. I still need to get it back in to get them replaced. I also asked for the parts back, they gave me the crank seal and a piece of dirt that they said was the front cover gasket. I had taken it to a dealer 2 hours away because these big city dealers suck (cleveland). My dad has had a lot of good luck with them. Maybe they thought they were doing me a favor???

I'm really thinking twice about buying another - my prob is I hate Chevy and foriegn ... I like Dodge vehicles but hate the new truck... What is a person to do???

Old 02-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I heavily advise you to get the lower intakes replaced ASAP.I had mine replaced back in Oct.02 after heavy convincing by AJRagno and TallTomG.These two guys will tell you the same.Good luck!

Old 02-18-2003, 01:15 AM
Angry Add another unsuspecting Ford owner to the list..

Yes, add my 1997 F150 4.2 L to the list of faulty gaskets/ blown engines??..........Only 76k mi. And Thanks to everyone on this list. Very helpful information.

This may get long, but here's my history.
In 2001 I noticed I was leaking coolant, I took it to the dealer and learned the front timing chain gasket was leaking. I did not buy the extended waranty. They wanted an outrageous
amount of money to replace a gasket?? So I bought the "gasket kit" to replace it. (thought it was strange at the time that they had a whole kit put together) The parts person told me to inquire if there was a recall on this, since there had been so many failures. They told me there was no recall, Of course I
now know my vechile was not listed in the recall.
after buying a chiltons manual and understanding what was involved, I took it to a trusted "family" shop to replace it. I would have tried it, but
this is my only means of transportation. It was replaced May 7, 2001 at 54K mi.

Several weeks ago (at 76k mi)I noticed my heater wasn't working. Found out I was about a gallon low on coolant. Didn't notice any external leaks. The next week at an oil change I found "white pasty stuff" on my oil cap. Ok, now im worried. Thats is how I found this forum. I found out that the white stuff was probably normal condensation, but also found out about all the 4.2L problems. Since I was definetly loosing engine coolant, I took it to the dealer. The damage: They said I need a new engine $4500.
I called the Ford customer assitance # with the information I have
received here. Of course they took my information and kept trying to refer me back to the dealer!!!!

My oil on the dipstick looks ok. The only other problem I have noticed is the engine missing sometimes. (very slightly, hardly noticable).
I am taking it in tomorrow for a second opinon at the place I had the timing chain cover gasket replaced. Im hoping I only need the gaskets replaced.

Now for a kicker. While talking to the mechanic who is recommending an engine replacement, I found out that the new redesigned gaskets are also failing. Has anyone who has had the gaskets replaced noticed any problems? How many miles do you have with the new gaskets?

Also, is someone actually compilling a list of all of us with these gasket problems. If not I will try and start one. I dont have any experience doing this, But awhile back I bought a book on how to construct a website. I just never had the need or compulsion to construct one, NOW I DO.

Old 02-18-2003, 08:58 AM
So does anybody know what the build dates are for affected engines?

It sounds like from the posts I've read that Ford is denying any fix coverage based on the 3/36k warranty limitation.

What are the options then?
1. Fix or replace engine
2. Sell or trade truck

Doing nothing doesn't seem to be an option. Time is not on your side.

Old 02-21-2003, 07:50 AM
I have a 97 F150 with the 4.2V6, the gaskets on it also failed and bent a rod, Ford says it not our problem, bullsh*t!
My wife had a 97 Expedition, I sold it before any thing to costly would go wrong with it. I sold my son's F150 also, and as soon as I get some of my money back from the expense of a new engine in my truck, I will sell it too!
Can't stand Chevy, guess I will have to cave in and go Toyota!

Old 02-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Not a Toyoyo

If you get a Toyota - make sure you get a shovel and a bucket - to pick up the parts when they blow up. I'm speaking from personal experience.

I'll probably go for a Dodge next time. I had an old V-8 318 Dodge Van and it never let me down - ever - 170,000 miles and half of that was pulling a camping trailer thru mountains. My 4.2 is holding together - knock on wood.

Old 02-09-2004, 12:14 AM
We were right about the gaskets on mine too. At 80,000 miles, (after loosing coolant for many months) a coolant leak appeared under the truck. Took it in immediately to the dealership, "yep it's the timing cover gasket leaking." $70 dollar part plus labor equals $600+!!!

Old 02-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Exclamation 4.2's engine coolant leak

I know lots of us with this engine have had problems. I too brought my truck in for the coolant leak recall. The notice came in the mail two weeks after I first noticed the leak. Two weeks after the leak was repaired, the engine developed a very pronounced lower rod knock. Even though my factory warranty expired a few months earlier, Ford replaced the engine with a rebuilt - free of charge. They also gave me a brand new F150 as a loaner for 1 month. So far, I'm satisified. Now if I was one of the many that were left footing the bill, I know I'd never buy another Ford product. I got lucky, I know it !!

John

Old 02-09-2004, 06:00 PM
4.2 L gasket problems...

Does anyone know if this recall applies to 99' model year 4.2L V6's? or was this primarily 97' and 98' model year problems....

I'd appreciate any insights as I as comtemplating purchasing a 99' Sport Flareside with the 4.2L. It only has 63000 Km or 40,000 miles....

Just wondering if I should walk softly....

Old 02-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sixpack, a year ago I would have said go for it! Now,i'm kind of leery! Reason being,my cousin in Louisiana lost his 99 4.2 due to faulty lower intake gaskets.The Ford dealer said it was due to the lower intake not being torqued correctly! And,I have seen a couple other posts on 99 and newer 4.2s doing the same. I really like my 4.2 now that I have new lower intake gaskets. It runs very strong too!

Old 02-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Well, now I'm wondering too. Does it have to fail in order for it to be done or can you go to your Ford dealer and get it fixed.....no charge? Is there a time limit on this recall?? Would the 99' apply to the same recall the 97 and 98' model years did??

Old 02-16-2004, 12:14 PM
call Ford and find out - we'd all be speculating at best.

Old 02-16-2004, 02:48 PM
My 4.2

I have a 97 F150 XL ExCab with a 4.2L V6. I bought this truck back in Nov. 99. I has been a great truck, but nothing beats my 85 Bronco ll 4x4... But anyways for this past month my truck has been a real bitch starting in the morning and shugish when I 1st put it into drive. So the other week I bring it into my brother for new front brakes and he tells me that my coolent is right down. I just looked at it about 2weeks ago be for that and it was alright. So I tell him what other things it has been doing and he looks at me like a blone who came in with a oil light on for 2 weeks. But he said he will look in to it for me. and Holy ***** I find all this stuff about the 4.2L Why was it kept so quite. But anyways I'm going in tomorrow so my brother can pull my plugs and look in to it some more.

And I looked at my coolent again this morning it is down again. Doesn't look good.

Robbie

Old 02-16-2004, 04:03 PM
4.2L

Oh yeah I'm at 130,000 km's. not even broken in to my standards

Robbie

Quick Reply: '97 4.2L Problems