Attn: WrongdayJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 03:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, yeah...lol

For me a 15 second 1/4 mile isn't impressive. Don't get me wrong that is very impressive for a 4.2, but I rather start with something in the 13's and go from there. I admire what your doing Talley, but I think I'll take the more expensive route.

Don't forget with that block eventally you will hit a wall on how fast you can get your truck....But I know you already know that.

Old 07-18-2002, 05:37 AM
==================================================
TalltomG, What a Lightning isn't fast enough for you? Can you name something faster for the same price? As for "For the money buy a Porsche", the only Porsche you can get for even close to that price is the Boxster. And even that is 10k more than the L and still slower with 1/2 the weight. I'm also 6'5", so trying to cram myself into that little (coffin if you crash) car would be rediculus for that amount of money.
==================================================

I never said that they weren't fast. What I said was they are too nice and expensive to actually use them as I feel trucks are meant to be used.

Now now...do you want speed or do you want comfort for a guy 6'5"? I'm 6'6" so I can relate to your problems of being comfortable. But for the same amout of money I could buy a pretty cherry and much faster used 911. Or if you want to get ricey about it, a Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR-4 could do a good job at smoking the lightning for less money.

Both of those I would own for the return on my go fast money over the lightning.

Hey the Lightning is an awesome truck, its an awesome vehicle. But it is a hybrid. Useless to me as a truck, and useless to me as a sports car.

No need to get touchy over any of this. We are all just voicing our inputs based on our world.

Hey if you wanna spend that kind of money on a truck that goes fast by my guest. Ford will love you for it......

Old 07-18-2002, 09:08 AM
TallTom, I started to post a reply to Falcon until I read yours, I'll just second what you said in your post.

No one is trying to put anyone down, and trucks are bought for a multitude of reasons.

I learn a lot on modifications from those who do race their trucks, such as TalleyWhacker who in my opinion does tweak more power out of a 4.2 than anyone else I have read on the boards.

Old 07-18-2002, 10:25 AM
TexasCowboy:

He I like everything Talley and Company are doing.

I even try and contribute things I have learned as well. But I am in no way as dedicated to the go-fast as Talley is. I like the idea of pepping up a V-6 to make the V-8s take notice. But in the end this is still supposed to be a truck for using as truck should be. If I can help my V-6 tow a little better or run a little cooler or get better gas mileage and still not be afraid to be a truck, then its fun to own them.

But I'll spend money on something low 2 door and about 4 inches off the ground if I am looking to go drive something fast. I'll use my truck to trailer it home....

Old 07-19-2002, 05:24 AM
TallTom, that's the thing, of course guys like us want comfort. Nobody wants to have to cram themselves into a under sized automobile. And for me to be comfortable a truck or SUV is the only way. Also I do love speed, and the fastest thing I can get that I can fit into would be the L. Get my point? As for the 911, what does it have 150K miles on it? I won't even considor the Mitsubishi 3000, and how dare you bring up something like that, this is a Ford forum! Seriously though, what do those things run (1/4 mile)? Also what is the price for a new '02? I don't know much about them so I can't just take your word for it.

Hey Tex, that's nice that you admire Talley so much, but do you see anyone else trying to tweak their 4.2's into speed demons? Him and Wrongday are the only ones on this board who are actually "trying" to make their 4.2's produce large amounts of power.

You guys are right, no one is trying to put anyone down here.

Old 07-19-2002, 08:57 PM
Falcon11, as to your last reply to me all I can think of to say is "So What"?

I am not trying to be sarcastic to anyone, all I do is voice my opinion, yet everytime I do I get a sarcastic reply from you.

What's the deal?

Old 07-19-2002, 09:45 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
tex:

He's just jealous because he doesn't have a 5-Spd

Old 07-19-2002, 10:01 PM
All people are jealous because they dont have a 5 spd....Autos are to slow.....I love to see them try to spin the tires off the line...lol... Great fun

Old 07-19-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Falcon11
Hey Tex, that's nice that you admire Talley so much, but do you see anyone else trying to tweak their 4.2's into speed demons? Him and Wrongday are the only ones on this board who are actually "trying" to make their 4.2's produce large amounts of power.
I actually take offense to that comment. There are TONS of 4.2/3.8's making power...

What makes me so special?

I have researched for over a year.... I have made my plans.... I have my goals.... I am commited.

Only ones on this board trying to make power???....

F150Freak99
QuickV6
XanMan
pete
m2rx75

are some of the few who are already making power. I'm not there yet. Granted, I have alot of mods... and WrongdayJ doesn't have anything to be called a mod yet ( j/k) There are other's who have done headers, ignition, gears, custom chips, and other mods.

I think that any V6'r here modding their truck is a good thing. I understand where you come from... WrongdaJ and I are the only ones TALKING about major power.

Not a flame by no means Falcon11. I like you and I like your truck If I had to choose between the two..... I'd be the truck

Old 07-20-2002, 12:22 AM
To further what Talley was saying:

I appreciate all the comments. I am truly more known for my suspension knowledge and for my experience with the late model Mustang equipment than for seriously modding a 4.2L V6.

That being said, I am totally interested (as I am sure Talley and Falcon11, and many others of you are) in furthering the knowledge base and pleasure obtained from these trucks in all their forms. . .not just the Lightning, or the 5.4L trucks.

I want to see everyone get the maximum pleasure from their trucks. Be it through road racing, drag racing, off-roading, or towing a trailer full of hay back from the feed store. And I hate seeing people get totally ripped off by salesmen and so-called tuners who are more interested in your money than your truck (or more importantly. . .you as a person).

So yea, I talk smack a little. . .all in good fun. But you can be sure that when the chips are down and your truck is broken or if you need help with a project. . .Both Talley, myself, and many other folks on this board are down to help in any way we know how. And it doesn't matter what transmission or engine or truck you have. (as long as it's a Ford. . .hehehe.)

Later,

Old 07-20-2002, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by WrongdayJ
(as long as it's a Ford. . .hehehe.)

Later,
AMEN TO THAT!!!

Old 07-20-2002, 05:32 AM
VERY VERY VERY well said WrongDay! Thanks for clearing that up for everyone so I don't have to.

And yeah yeah, very funny Talley. If I had to choose between being you or your truck, I would DEFINITLEY choose your truck. And not because your truck is faster than mine.

Tex, sarcastic??? I wasn't being sarcastic. Relax man, don't take anything personal.

Old 07-20-2002, 09:14 PM
It all comes down to this in the end boys..........CUBIC INCHES! V6 does (ALOT) of mods its ahead until the V8 does the some mods....so on and so on. But the V6 hits a wall in the horsepower & torque department, on the other hand the V8 can kept going. Thats my thoughts on the subject. But I know one thing is for sure Talley is right about making some pretty good horsepower out of these 4.2 V6s, I don't know about 11 sec. 1/4 times<<have to see it to believe it. But I guess anything is possible...I think???

TALLEY IF YOU BUILD IT WE WILL FOLLOW!

Old 07-20-2002, 09:25 PM
Oh Really?

FaStGaF150

So it all comes down to cubic inches you say?

How many cubic inches is the 4.2 V-6?

How many cubic inches is the 4.6 V-8?

So these engines should be about equal for performance potential then according to your theory?

Old 07-21-2002, 11:11 AM
So it all comes down to cubic inches you say?

How many cubic inches is the 4.2 V-6?

How many cubic inches is the 4.6 V-8?

So these engines should be about equal for performance potential then according to your theory?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

4.2=256 ci
4.6=281 ci
5.4=330 ci
I just wasn't talking about the 4.6, but their very close in cubic inches. It's very hard to tell in a race between 4.2 v6 and 4.6 v8 theres alot to weigh there. Now if you take a stock 4.2 f150 and a stock 4.6 f150 and they have the same body trim, gears, transmission, and no mods what so ever the 4.6 v8 will win. Now if you did some work to the v6, like diff. gears and........etc then yes they are pretty close or even the same in performance. now I know how fast you can get these v6's by reading the article in trucktrend (July/August issue) on the Chevy Trailblazer's auto 4.2 liter v6 (I know it's a chevy) but 0-60 in 8.5 sec. is pretty damn good for how much it weights 4645lbs. Then Chevy bolted on a intercooled Twin Turbo charger running 8.5 psi and the only thing they did to the engine is switch to 8.5:1 pistons (from 10.1:1), used piston-cooling oil squirters, shorter (by 2mm) connecting rods, thicker piston pins, highter- flow oil pump and fuel injectors, and a freer -flowing exhaust system, and they beefed up the auto transmission. Then swapped the transfor case all-wheel drive from a Cadillac Escalade. Here's some performance # stock- 0-60 8.2/ modded 0-60 5.35 1/4 modded 13.91 @ 97.40 mph and I'm sure chevy could of made it faster than that! But I'm very impressed. If i'm wrong about the 4.2v6 vs 4.6 v8 battle please tell me and explan why i'm wrong and i'll listen with all ears and learn.

Eric

Quick Reply: Attn: WrongdayJ