switching to 4.10s

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
switching to 4.10s

I plan on switching my gears to 4.10s in the near future...Just wondering if anyone else has done this...I was wondering if you could post some real life MPG numbers before and after doing the mod....also is it really worth it? How is the power increase and did you have any problems with traction? Thanks inadvance.

Old 07-14-2002, 04:17 AM
I've done more gear swaps on the Ford 8.8" rear end than a man should be allowed to. Everything from 3.08 all the way to 4.56.

Your milage will more than likely stay the same in city driving (although it may drop some because you will like the improved acceleration so much you'll live with the gas pedal on the carpet.)
Highway mileage will likely drop 2 mpg. It's a trade I'm willing to make for the better 0-60, though.

Changing the gears doesn't add power to your vehicle (although the seat-o-the-pants meter will tell you otherwise). It really just makes it a little easier for your engine to turn the tires. You'll get into your high rpm (high horsepower) band quicker. It's not as drastic a mod as one might think. I went from 3.27 to 3.73 in a '94 F150 and really. . .except for much better acceleration, you couldn't really notice the gear change. Now going from 3.08 to 4.10 you would notice big time. But the grin you'd get the second you stomp the pedal and light the hawgs. . .makes it all worth while.

Word of advice- Get a limited slip differential. You will need it.

Later,

Old 07-14-2002, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the info man...I appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: switching to 4.10s