01 4.2 F150 Leaky Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 01 4.2 F150 Leaky Head Gasket

I am looking for some advice and/or information.

I have an 01 F150 XLT Sport, 4.2 manual

About 4 days ago I was looking under my truck, I usally do this once a week or so checking for any leaks, and found a leak, sort of, it actually looked like oil had sweated out of the oil pain gasket. It was a little wet but not actually dripping.

Today I took it to a Ford dealer to have it checked out and was told the left cylinder head gasket is leaking. They ordered the parts today, new head, gaskets etc. $328.09 in parts.

My question is with the head gasket leaking is there any other possible damage to the motor? What should I ask about when it goes in to get repaired? I was told they would take the old head and use the parts, values, springs etc. in the new head. Is this normal practice? If the left head gasket is leaking would it not be necessary to replace the right head even though it is not leaking?
I ask that because if there is a problem with the left who's to know if the right will crap out later.

Is this leaky head gasket a known problem with 2001 4.2 engines? Are there any performance issues with a leaky head gasket? Any information, advice, tips etc. would be welcome.

Old 05-18-2002, 08:18 PM
For your piece of mind, stop by an auto parts store and get an oil sample kit. Take a sample BEFORE you drop your truck off at the dealer. Send a note with your sample to have them to a 'crackle test' (the most elementary check for water) or at least be observant for antifreeze. For roughly double the cost of the normal oil sample test, you can ask for a more-detailed water test (%, etc). Cheap insurance.

This is to help you feel comfortable that your engine oil has not been contaminated with antifreeze -- which is extremely detrimental to your engine's bearings. Antifreeze reduces the lubricity of the oil -- and your rod/mains can be seriously damaged without your becoming aware.

If your report comes back with dire news regarding antifreeze contaminant -- you will want to use that evidence to twist the arm of Ford Representative to have them pull down your engine and inspect the bearings.

Without such an oil sample, you will be whistling in the wind trying to get Ford to buy your engine later on if it fails.

Old 05-19-2002, 01:47 AM
That is a good idea, I just may do that. I did however check and did not see any coolant lose. I also checked the dip stick, with the naked eye, and did not see any evidence of water or coolant. I did notice that when I smelled the dip stick it had a slight burnt smell to it. Would anyone know if that means something? It was after driving the truck about 50 miles and the engine was to temp.

Old 06-06-2002, 06:29 PM
I know the 97 4.2 had this problem....is this head gasket leak now becoming a problem in the 2001's and later????

Gosh I hope not...

Old 06-07-2002, 12:35 PM
Well right now I can say mine is not as bad as the 97 4.2 I am not losing any coolant I check it every day to make sure. But it does make you just want to scream "Hey Ford can you get it right yet??????"

Quick Reply: 01 4.2 F150 Leaky Head Gasket