"Service Engine Soon" light on

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Service Engine Soon" light on

Hi,

My F-150 just hit 12,000 and the "service engine soon" light came on and has stayed on since yesterday. Did it come on because I just hit 12,000 miles or is something seriously wrong??? Help!

Sarah

Old 05-11-2002, 12:28 PM
Something's wrong.

You need to change the blinker fluid every 12,000 miles

If there's nothing obvious (No air filter. Loose spark plug wire/coil), just take it to the dealer.

At that milage it's most likely a intake or emission leak or flow problem.

You could try to figure it out but if it turns out to be a serious problem and you fix it yourself, you can't fight Ford if it turns out to be a bit of a lemon.

If you have access to an OBD-II code scanner, it will tell you what triggered the MIL but I still think that you should let Ford deal with this if you only have 12,000 miles.

Old 05-11-2002, 12:36 PM
AjRagno,

You had me going for a second there with the blinker fluid...lol. It couldn't be something that simple could it?! OK, I guess I will have to take it to the dealer. I didn't see anything unusual under the hood and the truck is still running great.

Thanks for your help.

Sarah

Old 05-11-2002, 06:01 PM
Arrow Blinker Fluid

I just replaced my blinker fluid, was pretty scuzzy. Bought it down at the local WalMart. Blinkers are blinking much smoother now, not to mention the added hp.

Old 05-11-2002, 06:54 PM
Sarah-

Welcome !! The check engine light indicates a "code" that is stored in the computer relating to a problem. You need to find someone with a "code reading scan tool"; a friend, a garage, a dealership, buy one, or Autozone may do it in your area. It could many things and opinions are speculation until the codes are read and evaluated.

Old 05-11-2002, 09:38 PM
Have you recently lubed your emergency brake cable? Alot of people forget to do that and then the damn "check engine soon" light come's on.

Another cause for the light to come on is to say "so you thought you'd get more then 12,000 miles before a problem?"

Seriously, I would take it right to the dealer and have them fix what ever the problem may be. I wouldn't wait as it could be something serious rather then simple.

Old 05-12-2002, 07:49 PM
The "service engine soon" light is an indication that something in one of the emision systems is reading out of spec. If could be something as simple as you filling up with gas while you left the engine running. The PCM will get a gross leak detected from your EVAP system. It is no big deal, you are under warranty don't sweat it. If it is running fine it more than likely just be a bad sensor or something simple like i mentioned above.

Trending Topics

Old 05-13-2002, 12:38 AM
Thanks for all your help...

Max, I can't get to the dealer for at least a week, so I hope everything holds together.

01 XLT Sport, My heart skipped a beat when you said lube the emergency brake. I thought that was it until I realized you were kidding! My neighbor came over the day before and took a look at the truck. He said that my emergency brake cable was rubbing the back tire. He fixed it and the light is still on of course.

02RegularCab4x4, I have almost always bought Chevron gasoline since I got the truck. I used a different gasoline on the last two fill ups. Do you think I might have got some bad gas? I checked the gas cap, it seems to be on like normal.

Thanks again. You guys are great!

Sarah

Old 05-13-2002, 06:45 PM
Mustangsally;
As 02regularcab4x4 said correctly, the check engine light indicates that one of your emission system sensors is giving an out of spec signal. Is or was your gas cap loose? This is the most common cause of the check engine light coming on. Tighten it. If the problem has been eliminated, the check engine light will go out after three "driving cycles" as explained on one of the first few pages of your owners manual. It also states in the manual that none of the problems that cause the light to turn on are serious unless your engine also misfires. This could cause overheating and destruction of your catalytic convertor. If your light goes out, everything is fine. If it stays on for a few days, you have a need for service at your convenience. Good luck, GlennMc.

Old 05-16-2002, 10:02 PM
Gleen Mc & Mustangsally:

That is an excellent point you made about the gas cap being loose or off. I would have never thought to check that or even known it was a common cause of the service engine soon light coming on. I learn something new everytime I get on here. Thanks...

Old 05-20-2002, 11:07 AM
Light is off!!

OK, the light went off. I went back to my trusty Chevron station and filled up the gas tank. I made sure the gas cap was on and the light went out a while later. I swear the gas cap was always on. My cap does not screw on...it kind of *snaps* on. I really don't like it because I can't tell if it is sealing good. Anyway, the light is off and I feel much less nervous now. Thank you all for your ideas and comments. You guys are great!!

Old 05-20-2002, 06:06 PM
If your gas cap is giving you trouble, you can pick up an aftermarket replacement at your local auto parts store. They have a variety of gas caps including a locking gas cap that uses a combination or a key. This also helps keep people from loosening your cap or getting into your tank.

Quick Reply: "Service Engine Soon" light on