Who has aftermarket exhaust on their v6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has aftermarket exhaust on their v6?

Just wonder who has an aftermarket exhaust. Has anyone lost any backpressure from theirs? Which ones have the best sound, that's not too loud for the wife?

Old 05-01-2002, 05:49 PM
i have true dual ...dynomax long bullets.....with 3 inch tips.....sounds pretty good but very very loud at AOT

Old 05-01-2002, 10:45 PM
Cool

hi,

i have a gibson supertruck exhaust. it originally exited out the side, but it was a little to loud in the cab for me. i decided to just run duals out the back. (i retained the muffler). it quieted her down in the cab but kept a "mean" sound outside. as far as back pressure i may have lost a little power down low. but whatever i lost i gained back in the upper end for sure! i do not have tips on her yet, just raw pipe. here is a pic:

Old 05-02-2002, 12:53 AM
I have a Dynomax Super Turbo SI/DO with 2.25" outlets and 12"x3.5" slash cut tips. The muffler itself is 24"x10"x6" so it's relatively large. I think the size of the muffler contributed a lot to the deep tone.

It really does sound good for a V6. Even at WOT, it sounds good. It will never sound as deep as a V8 but it does come close. I had some suspension work done a few months ago and the mechanic that test drove my truck has a '98 with a 4.6L and thought that mine had the same engine. I was standing behind it the other night while my girlfriend backed up and I was amazed at how deep the tone was when she stepped on the gas. rumble,rumble...

The size of the pipes will contribute a lot to the performance. For the most part, it's best if you don't go beyond 2.25" for duals and no more than 3" for a single outlet on the V6. If you go too big, you'll lose the low end torque. On the other hand; what you lose in low end torque you make up for in horspower at higher RPM's. I'd personally prefer he low end torque, which I gained. My truck now feels a lot lighter on take off.

My complaints are that the muffler shakes a lot at idle and after about an hour on the interstate at 80mph, my but goes a little numb.

If you go for a muffler and tip(s), it's a good idea to spend extra on stainless over chrome or you'll be scraping the rust off in just a couple of months.

Old 05-02-2002, 02:44 PM
Would it be ok to just get the muffler and keep the stock pipes? I know cat-back is best but looking for ways to save some $$$$$

Old 05-02-2002, 06:05 PM
Thumbs up

ya thats fine. you will not see as large of a gain...but you will still see some.

Old 05-02-2002, 10:35 PM
Ravin 55 series SI/SO for me. Not very loud at all, but there is a rumble at idle and low RPM's and pretty healthy at WOT, too.

Chris

Trending Topics

Old 05-02-2002, 10:58 PM
I have a gibbson single in single out exit behind the rear wheel/ cat back, the reason for the single is to gain tork in stead of getting rid of it. There claim is 8 to hp.25 ft. of tork and the system is quiet. It has a nice little rumble to it and best of all no inside cab drone.

Dale

Old 05-06-2002, 10:30 PM
Old 05-08-2002, 10:04 AM
Flowmaster exhaust and white face gauges

Stange,
yeah I had purchased the indiglo white face gauges at www.procarparts.com and put them on myself. Just click on the guage list on the left had side of the screen when you get to the site and then scroll down til you find your application. I have an XL so I dont' have the tach, I see you have the XLT so you'll be getting the ones with the tach.
About aftermarket exhaust, I have a two chamber flowmaster exhaust system, with one inlet and dual outlets, It sounds great and has a beautiful low tone rumble. Both muflers come straight out the back and have chrome tips on each. Later on when I redo my exhaust I plan on have both go out each side of the bed right infront of the tires.

Old 05-10-2002, 08:52 AM
I replaced the stock muffler with a cherry bomb glasspack then used the stock tailpipe. It sounds great! Low rumble while running - not too loud. It pops good when you downshift to high rpms. My wife likes it. Plus it only cost me $20 in parts $15 for the glasspack and $5 for clamps.

There had been other threads a long time ago where someone did a dyno test with different exhaust setups - glasspack with duals, glass pack with stock tailpipe, flowmaster single in dual out, flowmaster single in single out, etc...

Old 05-14-2002, 04:33 PM
Question Cherry bomb

Hey Silver, I think your quick solution is great. I may use it.

I have two questions though:

1) Any increase in perfromance like the Gibson,Borlas or dyno updgrades?

2) Can you duel it out?

Thanks brother!

Old 05-15-2002, 02:01 PM
I have a Raven si/do on the passenger side and did notice a slight decrease until I put on a k&N filter system. The growl is sweet. I'm also looking into a superchip, autonet supercharger and NOS, should be fun on a 4x4 with 33s

Last edited by Piercon; 05-15-2002 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2002, 12:35 AM
I have Gibson's single swept side on mine as well, it adds the most power out of their 4 systems on the 4.2L. I would say to anyone looking to add the most power (HP and torque), go with a single side exit with the 4.2L. But if sound is what you want there are many other options for you.

Old 05-19-2002, 12:59 AM
Exclamation

I just got a F150 XLT 4x2.....The previosu owner had Duals installed.......It has 3" Chrome Duals and sounds great for the V6 but I would like to Improve the tone and sound of the roar without spending alot on customs.............Any suggestions?
BabybluF150

Quick Reply: Who has aftermarket exhaust on their v6?