Exhaust vs. Intake?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Exhaust vs. Intake?!?

I'm looking at either getting a new exhaust or a Airaid fipk. Which one would I benefit from the most?

I've been reading mixed reviews about the fipk and I'm not sure if the new exhaust would be better. Suggestions??!!?!

Old 04-20-2002, 01:48 AM
well first off i would start with the air intake.....i personally have the air force one ......it is great but im sure they are all good products.....the only reason i would wait on the exhuast is it is very hard to find one that makes our 4.2 sound good.....do tons of research on it before you go with exhuast.....and check with talleywacker.....i think he has some good exhuast tips if you do choose to go that route

Old 04-20-2002, 10:05 AM
Of course the final decision is yours, but here is what I did on my 4.2 F150 XL Sport, auto and 3:55. I put in a K&N air filter and then cut the housing that surrounds it to where the filter had lots of room to breath, in the course of that I took off the rubber fitting that goes into the fender(I bought a used housing from a junkyard and kept the original intact). This is what is called the air box mod. I also had duals installed (2 out of 1), I have a glass pack muffler. To get the glass pack sounding good I got it hot by driving for about 45 minutes during summer and then immediatly sprayed the muffler casing with a garden house. This helps the glass packing to crack up. I did this 3 times and the pipes sound great.

Old 04-20-2002, 12:25 PM
Intake or Exhaust??

I have both, I love the mixturer, Its kinda a pakage if you will...

I first went with my flowmasters, si/do 2.5" With 3.5" tips.

I love the sound they wore in after 4 months and now sound good... I put on an airforce 1 FIPK just a few months ago and it made the truck sound so much different, and out of all my mods eccept for the chip, it was the most noticable mod...

My best addvice, do both!!!

Its about $650ish for both if youy shop around.

Great mixture of a mods. Just look into the sounds of the exhaust and see what fits you best..

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2002, 05:23 PM
intake

bang for your buck wise i would suggest an intake first. i personally noticed a larger performance difference. good luck with your purchase.

Old 04-21-2002, 03:58 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
I'm personally eyeballing the new spintech catback exhaust. for $399 you get a X-pipe and 2 spintech square mufflers for a true dual setup that has dual 3" tips that look and exit IDENTICAL as the SVT Lightning. but this will run you 400 bucks and if your just wanting 90% of the performance go with a muffler of choice and cut your stock muffler off and have the new one welded on, total price would run you ~$100-120. as for intake, Don't waste your money for a airaid or AF1... go the poorboy route and do the K&N airbox MOD. If you must insist on an intake for looks I'd recommend the MAC cold air intake. It's only 139.99 and is chromed just like the mustang cai. you can call Mike at poorboyperformance at 210-654-6959 for the intake. which ever items you choose... please, do BOTH!!! one just doesn't work as good without the other.

Old 04-21-2002, 11:09 PM
Lightbulb

OK you've confinced me. How do I do the poorboy fipk anyways? I have the K&N filter, but what do I have to do to the airbox? Do I have to cut it all up? I want it to look nice though.

Trending Topics

Old 04-21-2002, 11:12 PM
Hey Tally! Any picks of yours??

Does anyone have picks and instructions on the poorboys fipk?

Quick Reply: Exhaust vs. Intake?!?