Can i swap instr. clusters

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can i swap instr. clusters

My truck didnt come with tach on inst cluster. I would like to have one, but dont want a rice burner tach screwed to my dach board. So can I get a cluster with a tach. My mileage is digital so will the cpu work with the new cluster. Thanks for the help

Old 04-09-2002, 07:27 PM
or if...

Anyone have a aftermarket tach inst with pics. I am sure its cheaper and easier to do it this I just dont want it to be tacky

Old 04-10-2002, 05:02 PM
Cool dealer can do it

the dealer can switch out clusters for you. i do not remember the exact price...but i think it is about $300. it is even more if you want the lightning cluster. i had the same problem as you, my truck did not come with a tach either. i just purchased one and installed it on the left part of the dash right on top of the AC sorta. It looks alright in my oppinion. sort of outa place maybe...but whatever. atleast now i can see my rpms! i do not have any pics of it now...but i will see if i can get some this weekend. by the way...my tach was like 90 bucks and is a 3 3/4 incher. good luck.

Old 04-11-2002, 08:25 PM
Autometer

What autometer # do you have LBC? I have a 2309 that has a 3 3/4 face with a light and was told it wasn't compatible. Also did you install it yourself? If you did, what wire did you tap into? If you didn't, what'd it cost to install it? Thanks in advance...

Split

Old 04-12-2002, 02:22 AM
long post....sorry.

split,

i was told that same thing! i do not know what number off hand...i will look and post it when/if i find it. i emailed autometer and they said they will be comming out with an adapter in summer time. i could not wait that long so i tried a few things. first i did some research via these boards but did not come up with enough info for me to feel comfortable trying it myself...so i finally broke down and had it done. i took it to a shop recomended by a friend. i went there and had it installed.

well its turns out i got ripped off. it worked...but it was always like 3k rpms low. it was wierd...it would go up and down with the revs, just always way low. i told him, and showed him and he would not give me my money back. (i know i know, i should have looked before i paid. i had false confidence in him because of his recomendation from a friend. i should have relized that my friend...eventhough a nice guy and all, doesn't know his *** from a whole in the ground when it comes to cars.)

i then took it to my uncle when my family had a little gathering...for bithdays or something. anyways, he took one look and said with confidence as if he had seen this problem a million times before " damn boy, its hooked up to the wrong wire! bring it down to my place and i can have it fixed for you in a jiff."

i am lazy/busy...still have not had a chance to take it down there. but i am very confident in my uncles automotive knowledge. he has worked on cars for more years than i have been alive, thats good enough for me. sorry to bore you with this long post...just wanted to give you the whole story on my tachometer saga! i know i talk as if i already have the sucker fixed...i have to stop doing that! i guess i am just optimistic!.

good luck with your tach and installation. all i know is it is one thing i will never want to bother with again! i fear the day the bulb in the tach goes out!! lol

Arom

Last edited by LBC150; 04-12-2002 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:54 AM
I suspect that the wiring for a tach is already in the dash. I suspect this because the factory will put in generic wiring harnesses on every truck and only further down the line do they decide on the specific instr. cluster.

You might be able to do a straight swap with a new Ford cluster that has a tach on it.

I could be wrong, but its worth a look.

Maybe you should post this question in "Aftermarket" for those guys that replace their cluster with the fancy aftermarket ones.

Quick Reply: Can i swap instr. clusters