general mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question general mods

Just bought my first f150 v6 the other day, and bought some ici step bars to start off with my first mod.Does any body know what I can get away with in mods or whats acceptable in general with out voiding the warranty?Or even the tricks one might do.

Thanx in advance
Dave

Old 02-20-2002, 01:55 PM
Good choice!

Hey it will cost you, I did not want to spend any money at first, but after reading these posts, I coulndt resist, I spent a $1000 to get my truck at the preformanvce level that it is at know,
SUPERCHIP - AIR FORCE 1 - Flomasters Single in Dual Out.
this All equals=
Good gas milage and shifting, with increease in power safely, Good throtel response, and breathing , great sound, and looks.

My best .02 I can give you, oh you might want to put in some subs for the tunes it allways is good.

Oh and yes, none of thease will, void any warrenties, or anyting.
Im 99.9% positve.

Last edited by RedFlarside2000; 02-20-2002 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Im pretty sure the af1 and the chip will void your warranty. The chip i know for sure will. you will have to take it out if you bring your truck in for servicing. As for the af1 im also pretty sure it will void your warranty as well. put the stock breather on befor you bring it in for servicing. As for the exhaust im not sure if it will void your warranty but from ford i guess its possible.
The only perf mod i have though is a drop in k&n filter and synthetic oil which realy doesn't add up to jack for performance but i believe its better for the engin.

Good Luck
Syeth

Old 02-20-2002, 02:42 PM
not true..

I have talked to ford and Mike T the chip guy, It is not leagal for them to void it, it is not a big enough of a mod to void the warrenty, Ill bet money on it, and the intake cant, it uses the same wireing and sensors, its no diiferent than putting in a new K&N filter!! Same thing witht the Exhaust. About having to remove the chip for service, its true you do have to removi it.
There is too many guys with that set up to have it be true.

Old 02-20-2002, 02:52 PM
Voided Warranty

You are correct. They cannot deny a claim based on mods like a chip or intake. Magnuson-Moss act prevents that. That info can be found on the sema site.

Old 02-20-2002, 04:04 PM
how does the magnson-moss act protect your warranty if you change the chip?

the chip isn't a part that needs to be replaced regularly and if it fails under warranty it is replaced by Ford.

Old 02-20-2002, 06:17 PM
you do not "change" the chip. you "add" a chip. by the way...superchip, FIPK, and any kind of exhaust does not void your warranty. the " Magnuson-Moss act " as posted above is what keeps it from being void. but now lets say your aftermarket muffler rusts and gets holes or whatever. that is not going to be under warranty. you get the idea. The main reason you remove the chip is not to hide it from the dealers. (eventhough some do for this reason) you are sapposed to take the chip out for when your dealer does a diagnostic check of your comp. they get the right numbers. check out the computerchip forum and ask mike. he will let you know all the details. just my .02

Arom

Last edited by LBC150; 02-20-2002 at 06:23 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 02-20-2002, 09:02 PM
Wink yup

The only way an aftermarket part can void your warrenty is if it is found to be the cause of said problem. Such as, you get a chip, chip screws up badly and shorts out your computer. The computer will not be covered under warrenty.*

*This is JUST an example and I have NEVER heard of this happening.

You get the general idea.

Old 02-21-2002, 01:26 AM
You probably don't have to worry about damaging your engine with a FIPK and a chip but the Magnuson-Moss act is not a silver bullet that repels Ford with impunity.

Ford does have an official policy of denying warranty claims for both aftermarket chips and FIPK's, so don't expect a warm response from your dealer if you have any engine or transmission problems.

When people speak about the Magnuson-Moss act , they make it sound as though all you have to do is say the magic phrase and Ford will fix your problems but it's not that simple. When you purchased your truck, you signed away your right to sue Ford and settle instead for the dispute resolution board. Although the laws state the "Ford" must prove that your mods caused the problems, it will be "you" trying to prove a built/design problem while Ford points the finger at you.

The chip and the FIPK are well worth the money and each can be removed in a few minutes if you need service so don't worry about them. If you get a cat-back exhaust on the other hand and you have burnt valves or cats, you will pay the bill.

Basically when it comes to mods and warranty, whatever you change now becomes your responsibility.

If you add a shift kit: Void the transmission warranty.
If you add a supercharger: Void the engine warranty.
If you add a suspension lift: Void the suspension warranty.

Old 02-21-2002, 01:53 PM
Chips

Are you restricted to premium gas with a chip?

Thanx for all the other feedback.
Dave

Old 02-21-2002, 02:52 PM
There are chips that let you run normal octane (87octane for those of us near sea level)

There are chips that require that you use higher octane.

There are "flip chips" which let you select a less agressive calibration if you need to run normal octane and back to a more agressive calibration when you refill with higher octane.

BTW: a supercharger may void your trans warranty.

Old 02-21-2002, 04:59 PM
from what i have read is that with the flip-chip when you have it on 87 the gain is min., so i really dont see much of a point of getting it, might as well go with a regualr chip. it has its disavantages and its advntages

Quick Reply: general mods